The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a few Angels from my local importer which are named under True Altum from columbia. I am wondering if is true or not. If they are, i am going to try raising them in my tap water which has ph around 8.2. From what i have read, these will not survice in my tap PH but i will try my best to raise them. There are the a few pictures that i took today. Their fins are not spread apart yet for some reason, not really sure what caused that but if u have any experience with angels i will love to get some advice from you. Like always comments are welcome.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I don't know what kind of mongrel fish you have there, but I'm a nice gal & will free you of the burden of having to look at them, just mail them to me! lol

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
They are of good size. Have you had them for a while? If so, they seem to be doing okay in your parameters. When the first batch of altums came in this year, they were nickel and dime size. What HAW is advertising now are very small specimens.
They are supposed to be in 5.0 +/- 50ppm.

When the fish are comfortable, their fins will spread out. Too much current, wrong parameters, disease, too much light are considerations.

If they are from HAW, then it is likely they are true altum.

If you just got them and don't want to keep them in their required parameters...sell them to me. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mscichlid - The guy that i bought it from had them for about 1 week + but they were in my tank for only 2 days and they just accepted my bloodworm this morning. I am not really sure where my local guy got these guy from.

I will post update and pics of them as i raise them. I am crossing my fingers on them tho.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What cause clamped fins? Could clamped fins due to new environment or settling in? Like discus shy and hide when they just got into new tank? I had read enough that I should lower ph of my tank in order to raise altum but I was planning to raise them in tap water. My local guy was keeping them at 7.2. Since I had never kept angels before, I am not really sure how do they behave when they just move to new tank. If you say clamped fins are sign of sickness then I m going to get peat and lower my ph.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Well sudden changes for such a sensitive fish aren't a good idea. And people have a lot of trouble keeping altums in very soft, acidic water. Hard, high pH water isn't going to work long term if they are genuinely altums.

It seems as though you know that they need to have soft water, and have decided that despite knowing what they need you don't want to provide that. I understand not wanting to mess with RO and all of that, but you should make fish choices that are a little more forgiving. Domestic angels(which i doubt you'd notice the difference) are a much better choice. you could prob even get some locally raised that are ready for your water.

With a pH of 8.2, I'd guess peat will do next to nothing to your water.

They'd also be the cheapest LFS altums I've ever seen in the history of the world.

I'm afraid the outlook for these altums is not good.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
No, I added them from the plastic bag as soon as i get home. I don't want them to stay in plastic bag any longer than they should.
Drip acclimation gets them out of the plastic bag. It drips the water from the tank they are going to into the water they are in, usually about 1 drop per second, and slowly acclimates them to it. This is usually conducted over a period of about 2hrs, maybe lomger in some cases for more sensitive fish. It prevents shock from sudden differences in ph/gh/kh...

I would recommend you read up on it. Important for any fish, even if the two tanks have similar water. IMO, the only way a fish should be added to your tank.

·
Registered
536 Posts
hmm i just read this on aquahobby

"The Altum is becoming a common import since the last couple of years. They have a huge mortality rate if acclimated by the wrong procedure. The old procedure of slowly adding tank water to the bag is completely wrong for the following reason. Due to ammonia in the bag, and the presence of CO2 (therefore lowering the pH) the ammonia is kept mostly in the ammonium form, not in the more toxic form. Upon opening the bag, CO2 escapes and the pH rises to the true pH of the water, converting the ammonia to the toxic form. As temp increases, so does ammonia toxicity. The fins get burned, as do the gills. You see shortening of the fins within days, and columnaris attaches to the gills, resulting in death between 6 hours to a few days later. The fish have not been exposed to this organism, and they have not got an immune response ready, so they drop. A pH of 6 will prevent the columnaris attachment, and the damage will heal without medication. Better is to open the bag, and net the fish straight to the tank. A temp of 32°C for 2 weeks will also protect the fish from infection. Other than that, a problem-free fish! Breeding is becoming less rare. Happy Altum Keeping! "

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HiepSTA - Thanks for posting that up. I read about it and the was one of the reason why i did what i did. However, major different would be, aquahobby was talking about fish that are in the bag for more than couple days and mine was only in there for couple hours. I admit i might have done some mistake here.

OverStock- I am not trying to provide unsuitable environment for altum. I have been keeping wild discus and as far as i know, they are supposed to keep them in almost same environment as altum. Not really sure which one is more delicate but my wilds are doing very well in my tap water and i am just wondering if i can keep altum in same situation. I am not trying to kill my fish here i like them. Also, my angels are chasing bloodworm and eating very well. I do agreed with what u said but i m trying to clarify what i am trying to do.

Back to my question again, At what kind of situation does angels get clamped fins?

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
What cause clamped fins? Could clamped fins due to new environment or settling in? Like discus shy and hide when they just got into new tank? I had read enough that I should lower ph of my tank in order to raise altum but I was planning to raise them in tap water. My local guy was keeping them at 7.2. Since I had never kept angels before, I am not really sure how do they behave when they just move to new tank. If you say clamped fins are sign of sickness then I m going to get peat and lower my ph.

Thanks
Clamped fins could be a sign of the onset of disease. What temp do you have them? It should be around 82-84.

You should join the The Angelfish Study Group forum. There is someone there that is experiencing the same thing. Be prepared to list your tank parameters.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.