The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could be wrong but I rarely see any Kessil users on here. To me it's the only light that can bring out shimmer as close to the wild as possible. Spectrum-wise and color-wise it can be weak though. Anyone/Kessil user can chime in?

Here's my low tech 29gal that uses a Kessil A160WE. Sorry for the amateur tank. I'm just a novice aquarist.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think the biggest issue with Kessil is the color spectrum and price point. The price becomes even more of an issue when you have a longer tank and need multiple units. A lot of people also find the shimmer effect distracting and a bit much. To each their own though, it’s definitely not a bad light, it just comes down to a matter of taste.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Price is a huge aspect. I think I paid like $350 for a kessil A160E for the light, mount, and controller. And wasn't even getting full coverage on my tank. Meanwhile, you can spend $300 on a much larger Chiros WRGB2 with a phone app and a way more customizable spectrum that has higher PAR values and actually tells you what they are.

To set up Kessils on any tank that needs multiple lights the price difference becomes huge.

Also, the AI Primes are also comparable in terms of output/shimmer for a much lower price and much more spectrum customization.

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
595 Posts
I wanted Kessils when I started getting more into the hobby and getting more high tech. I just can't justify that expense. I suppose if I had a large centerpiece high tech tank (like a 125g or 250g) I'd spring for them.

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
In the past they had sub-standard color (personal rant). They have progressed but still the most secretive maj. manuf. It's annoying. .

Fortunately they came out w/ the tuna sun a360x

·
Registered
934 Posts
Back when I was designing my 100g aquarium in 2012, I really wanted to use 2 or 3 Kessil lights on it, but the price was a huge deterrent. LED fixtures have come a long way in both technology and price so right now there are a lot of options to choose from. Yes, the shimmer effect from the Kessil pendants is truly amazing, but on my latest build I wanted color changing options so I went with a Finnex light. If you wanted that option, you could always get another light and still use the Kessil. My 10g has 2 fixtures on it right now.

·
Registered
637 Posts
They're just not a great value compared to really any other pendants, like the AIR Prime HD or Hiro B-series. Since it's low-tech you probably could have gone with the Lominie lights and saved $200. They seem like nice lights but they are up there with ADA in that you are paying a significant premium for the branding.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Tried a pair on 36” long and shallow a few years ago. Apart from the price (as everybody mentioned) I did not like the fans. Very annoying. I did try them with Apex and it was a mess to setup. Returned and replaced with bml at that time and that was the best led I’ve ever seen. I never achieved that amount of pearling again. However the small plastic driver box burnt out twice and by the 2nd time they stopped doing aquarium lights all together. Downgraded to Fluval Planted 3.0 just for the ease of app. Rebuilt the tank recently mainly to get rid of all the mosses and have wrgb2 now, and it is pretty decent. Like that it is a complete item with a really good app. Also like their ceiling hanging kit.

·
Registered
400 Posts
They grow plants,but the color quality is low. I wonder how that company can make such an expensive light and have it look so drab? T-5's are so much better. Tropica goes T-5 for a reason on their vids.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've used Kessils (360WE Tuna Sun, A80 Tuna Sun) on my various tanks (always have 1 tank or another over the last 7 years), so do have a little history with them.

IMO they grow plants well, but (1) the shimmer you can get tired of after a while, and (2) they don't make red plants red, or highlight the red color as well as Twinstar or Chihiros. Example below is my nano tank before and after I switched to Chihiros.

The green plans did well with either lights, but after switching to Chihiros, the red plans both show up really well (due to more red light), and grow really red (I did went to the effort of cut out some stems and see them in sun light, there's a clear difference in redness and the uniform of redness in the stems (ludwigia super red) that grew under the new light.

·
Registered
400 Posts
To me ,it defeats the reason to even keep colorful fish and plants if you go for Kessel or the other LED type lights that are designed to light up a garage and are used over plant tanks- sure the plants grow...but even neons look dull.
I don't like that aquarium LED lights that you can adjust the lighting spectrum start out at $150 compared to less than half for T-5 or old fashioned fluorescent grow lights that are now hard to find- or even fixtures for them. I never thought those would go extinct or I would outlive something that's been around so long.

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
To me ,it defeats the reason to even keep colorful fish and plants if you go for Kessel or the other LED type lights that are designed to light up a garage and are used over plant tanks- sure the plants grow...but even neons look dull.
I don't like that aquarium LED lights that you can adjust the lighting spectrum start out at $150 compared to less than half for T-5 or old fashioned fluorescent grow lights that are now hard to find- or even fixtures for them. I never thought those would go extinct or I would outlive something that's been around so long.
How's your tube tv? :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
No,I get that LED is the new thing..but notice I said that the LED lights you can adjust color? THOSE are the way to go. But those are premium lights,not Finnex or basic Beamswork lights that are ok..fair. Using LED that are mostly for security lights? Terrible coloration.
I was watching Corvus Oscen show his 240 gallon. When he reached into the tank you could see he had four Fluval 3.0's over it. That's $1,000 in lights retail right there and 250 watts. If you want to do it is one thing,doing it right is gonna cost!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.