The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have algae problems but was wondering if it would be worthwhile to put a UV sterilizer in my quarantine tank to prevent or cure parasites or bacterial infections. The 24w Green Killing Machine is on sale on a certain big box retailer's website for around $40.

Is this a good idea or a waste money?

Does anyone know if it can be put in the tank diagonally? My QT tank is only 5 gallons...

·
Registered
502 Posts
The Green Killing Machine is basically for clearing a tank of green water. It's not going to get the critters out. Not an expert in this but I have read on it. You will need something that is capable of a level 1 or 2 sterilization and it will cost you more than $40.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Green Killing Machine is basically for clearing a tank of green water. It's not going to get the critters out. Not an expert in this but I have read on it. You will need something that is capable of a level 1 or 2 sterilization and it will cost you more than $40.
Thanks for the reply. I was only looking at wattage and thought 24 would work. How do I tell if a product is 'level 1' or 'level 2'? What does the level mean?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Find a quiet place to read, take a couple of tylenol for the future headache you will get and you can start here":Aquarium & Pond UV Sterilization | How to use a UVC Sterilizer. Hopefully an expert will come along and help you better. The only degree that I hold is from the University of Get A Job, Son.Not saying the above link is the best place to start, but you can absorb some info from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.