The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Literally just setup my 20 gallon long, with the Marineland Advanced LED Strip lighting. I've noticed that the light doesn't reach the front of the tank, where I have a few Staurogyne's planted (I have a versa glass top, Marineland on the "back" part of it as you should).

Question: is the lack of lighting a product of location, or the lights? I've been considering importing a Finnex Planted 24/7+ (Canadian.. they don't sell them here), but I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade or the money compared to what I have now. Or if it's just an issue with placement and any LEDs will have the same issue.

Low tech plants.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
13,081 Posts

Any opinions?
Everyone has opinions.. ;)
first, your light is like these right?
Marineland Advanced LED Aquarium Strip Lights | LED Aquarium Lighting | PetSolutions

Off the bat they are a bit underpowered.. 1W LEDs.
Secondly, more than likely the lenses are 90 degrees so your f/b spread is handicapped.
Third your versatop has a black hinge right? Blocking light.

So now a few easy fixes if you aren't too concerned w/ light quantity.
1)More than likely you can easily remove the lenses from, say the first white row. This will increase spread (90 to 120 degree angle)
2)Don't remove the lenses and raise the light up a few inches..

Neither of these will solve the black hinge problem though..

3)Buy a second light. 1 for front, one for back.
A cheaper beamswork from eek bay say.

There are many ways to solve this problem..

·
Registered
852 Posts
I had one of those marineland Programmable LED's on my 55,replaced it with a 24/7 and will never go back.If I start to get algae from too much light I let the hornwort grow in.I actually had more algae with the marineland light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.