The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i've been looking around on craigslist for used tanks for my oscar. i found a 120 gallon w/ an iron stand for $200. Does anyone else think this is a little high? it doesn't come with anything else just tank and stand. I was thinking about offering the guy $150 for it do you think that's reasonable or should i try lower? oh the tanks been on craigslist for awhile now.
Thanks =]

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I normally pay $0.50 per gallon for used tanks and then about $15/ft for stands or more if they are nice. Iron stands maybe a little less.

Soo.. yeah $150 would be closer to what I'd offer (then again, I'm pretty cheap :hihi:)

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
as someone who watches craiglist daily for deals in the NY,NJ,CT,PA area, I can tell you that $200 for a 120g & metal stand is a great deal as long as the tank glass above the gravel line is in great condition scratch'wise, and you don't have to completely reseal the tank. typically anything approaching $1/gallon is great for this area as long as the tank is not in a distressed condition.

unfortunately the majority of this area's fish tank sellers are unrealistic as they try to recover 50% of the full retail (with delivery and setup) that they foolishly paid for their tanks, that often attempt to recoup the value of a lot of included outdated accessories nobody wants. just the other day I wrote to a seller hyping her 180g 4x2x2' tank for only $400. I informed her that the tank was actually 125g, and you can get one that is brand new in select NYC pet stores for the same $400 before tax&delivary. 2 days later the ad disappeared; needless to say I got no response.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
It is a little high, but still not a bad price. On an average, used tanks usually go for about $1/gallon. Stands go about .50/gallon. I sold a 55 gallon tank with an iron stand, hood/lights for $150. A 90 gallon with wood stand, filters, and lights for $300.

If you decide to pick it up, just make sure there are no leaks or bad scratches.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea i've been watching craigslist on a regular basis and people seem to want a lot for used tanks in this area. I've seen this tank up for about 1 or 2 months now and it's been the same price. I sent the guy an email with my offer so i just have to wait and see what he says. I'm actually glad it doesn't come with a bunch of crap that i don't need like most tanks do. Hopefully since it's been up for awhile he'll just want to get rid of it =]

·
Registered
67 Posts
I see a lot of used tanks listed here on CL (outside of DC in northern VA) going for the same price as a new one from the store. :icon_roll

As is with any classifieds, sometimes there is a gem in there that you can get!

Worst thing that would happen is the guy will say no.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I see a lot of used tanks listed here on CL (outside of DC in northern VA) going for the same price as a new one from the store. :icon_roll
Yeah, people try to get the same cost for the equipment for what they bought it for. I saw an add on CL regarding a guy selling a 20 gallon tank for over $200.

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
I have been very lucky here watching CL. I bought a 150 w/Oak cabinet, lights and glass top for $400. This guy in Scotsdale bought it to fit a wall and then remodeled his house. It was then 9" to short so he had a tank custom made. I got this tank BRAND NEW it had never even had water in it! I beat the guy that was on his way to pick it up by 3hrs!

Then a few months later I got a 180 with cabinet stand and glass top and lights for $200.

I sent more on filters than I did for everything else combined!

The thing about CL is that you have to be ready to jump as soon as you see the post as the good stuff sells very quick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts