The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have blue jelly, fire red and yellow neos in my plant tank. So like every said some babies turned out to be wild neo looking. Today i noticed that some of the wild looking neos has a green hue in their body. Guys, is it a first step of breeding green neo? Should I breed them with blue or yellow neo to intensify the green color?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
yes!!!! put them in a tank by them selves and breed the greens together. pull any that are not green and go from there. just stick with the green for now and get numbers up before you try mixing anything with them. as you see more in the main tank pull them and add them to the green tank

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
for now order a large external breeder box. it will keep tank water running though it so you dont have to have a cycled tank and can still keep them to them selves while you cycle a tank just for the greens

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could also be food causing them to turn green.

I believe DK has a decent line of green neos.
I have not change to any new food (always feed them red color pellet type food for that tank). Unless these 3~4 neos suddenly ate alot of green moss/algae/leaf?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Krill is very high in astaxanthin, and it's mainly what fluval food is made from. It doesn't turn all shrimp weird color, just some. It's most visible in yellow shrimp, but that's just because they're so light colored.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
nope neocaridina davidii and caridina cantonesis are too different to hybridize.

but, even if it IS the food - it only does it to some shrimp. the receptivity to turning green in response to a high astaxanthin diet could very well be heritable. meaning you could keep feeding that, weed out babies that grow up to be not green, and eventually get a strain of yellows that will always turn green if feed high amounts of carotinoids.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I happen to have some blue jelly and yellow neo shrimp. I set up my breeder box when I saw this thread. I am going to try my hand at eugenics.

I give them Hikari shrimp cuisine 2-3 days a week, which lists astaxanthin as the 15th of 26 ingredients on the ingredient list(if I counted correctly). I also feed BorneoWild Grow which does not list astaxanthin.

I have 2 Yellow females in with 1 male Blue Jelly.
Diet will be:
Hikari shrimp cuisine
BorneoWild Grow
Spinach

Edit: I have never noticed any unusual coloring in the yellow shrimp from their diet.

Im interested to see what happens.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts