The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of a fish store that uses warm water to add to the cold when doing WC., so as to not shock the fish. Another source says NO, that hot water contains minerals and metals and will harm fish over the long run. I am setting up a 75 gal. tank for discus and wonder about the safety of this issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well, if you are setting up for discus, one would assume you are running an RO/DI unit for your water. In that case the RO/DI should filter out anything that would come from the hot water line. OR, you have superb water quality (for discus) out of the tap and have no need for RO/DI water.

If not running RO/DI, depending on how old your hot water tank is, I can see where partical contamination may become an issue for discus, especially if your water is relatively hard although I've personally never had issues using hot water to buffer temperature.

I've never kept discus but I've used hot/cold tap for all of my community and planted tank water changes (with expection to my 3g bowfront 80% distilled to 20% tap) with no ill effects from using hot water. My tap water is over 1100tds, mostly calcium, liquid rock, so I just have to be conscious of plant requirements before I purchase any. My tap water would actually be great for African rift cichlids lol (I've looked into it before)

I'm jealous that you have the opportunity to keep discus. Very attractive species. It would cost a fortune in water for me to keep any soft water dependant species. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've raised dozens of discus from juvie size to full adult, using warm and cold tap through a python, no RO/DI unit. Never had a problem. However, there's really no way to tell if maybe a fish would've lived longer if hot water out of a tap was never used to begin with... but like I said, I had no issues with it and I know others have done the same.

The biggest thing really is trying to minimize large, sudden changes in parameters.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think that comes from the boiler contamination and the fact that the water softener bypass line (if any) tends to be only on the cold tap. It's sort of annoying for me, given I try not to use softened water for changes, but that means I end up having to boil cold tap water to mix in with other cold tap water for a uniform matching temp.

My RO system comes straight off the cold line into the tank, and it limits how much I water I can change due to the overall temp drop. I can add about 10 gal of cold water to a 110 gal system while dropping the overall temp about a degree and a half over an hour, which is about as quickly as I like to change the temp.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Good point on the RO system and water temp. While colder temperatures lower the efficiency of the system, high temperature will damage it, if I remember the temp recommended in manual for mine was <25*C.

Another thing to take into consideration in the short term is that the warmer the water the less O2 it has dissolved. Best thing would be to premix everything outside of the aquarium to the right temp, treat and then pump it into the aquarium, more so with an aquarium with expensive and sensitive fish.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Some might have a problem with older boilers, releasing copper into the tank water.

It all depends on the options tou have
best is cold water and let it sit for 2y4 hours
if not an option, let it ride
RO is best if you are breeding discus
Check your tap contants

are you just starting with discus?
Where are the discus from

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.