The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running 2 Eheim Ecco Pro 2236's in a 40 g tank and because of too strong water flow from the outlet pipe, I installed 2 Eheim spray bars. Well, now the water flow is perfect but I just don't like the look of 2 spray bars!

So, I'm thinking about getting 1/2 inch clear tubing, drill some holes, block one end and use it as a transparent spray bar.

Do you see any problems with my plan?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If this doesn't work well, I might buy Eheim installation kits to replace the green inlet, outlet & spray bars once and for all. My black background should hide dark-colored installation kit pipes pretty well. Because my other equipment is all black (including black air tubing!), those green pipes are the only unnatural thing that I see.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
seems like it would work fine. Only challenge might be keeping it from sagging since it isn't rigid.

Cheap experiment if you don't like it so have fun and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am planning this exact same thing. My faux spray bar would be running vertically down one back corner of the tank so being wedged in the corner would stop it's bending. I think if you're not doing that, the rigid typed of tube would be better otherwise making it straight is going to be a nightmare of clips. No reason it has to be straight other than looks though.

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
I wish you good luck keeping it clear. It should have no issues in functionality, but they will not stay clear very long.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Will require the same maintenance as the glass lily pipes. Will look good for a few weeks then need a good scrubing. If you prep the installation well enough and make them easy to remove and put back on, it could look pretty cool.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After the Thanksgiving dinner, I spent 30 minutes making a faux spray bar with thin 1/2" clear tubing and installing it. I just wanted to test!

There was no issue in functionality. However, as predicted by NJAquaBarren, it sagged too much because my tubing was very thin.

I may try (1) rigid black tubing (2) rigid clear tubing with quick connectors to facilitate cleaning, or (3) simply buy Loc-Line 2.5 inch flare nozzles to spray out water more evenly.

Anyway, this hobby gives me endless fun!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Try looking for what is called rigid airline tubing. It comes in a variety of sizes, and is meant for use with undergravel filters. It cuts easily, drills really nicely, is super cheap, and you can seal off the end of it pretty easily heating it up with a hair dryer and crimping it with needle nose pliers (it won't be a water tight seal, but good enough for a spray bar).
I use the stuff all the time for DIY spray bars, and filter inlets and such.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was using clear (gray) flexible Tetra brand tubing as a spray bar for my HOT magnum until recently.

Problems I had:
turned opaque (not a big deal)
couldn't drill small enough or clean enough (ragged) holes
tubing kept it's tendency to curl

Benefit: it was flexible, so i could bend it around the intake tube on the HOT Magnum, meaning I could put the filter on the side of the tank that I wanted.

I replaced it this last weekend with PVC from Lowes. It is just friction fitted to the filter output, using the above Tetra tubing as an "adapter". I used black Krylon Fusion (as recommended here) to paint it.

Benefits:
It's matte black and very subtle in appearance
Much smaller and cleaner holes and easier to drill out, meaning MUCH better flow distribution
Java moss will eventually root into it adding to natural appearance
Fewer suction cup clips needed because it won't curl

Unfortunate result:
Had to move the filter to the other end of the tank because it won't bend around the intake tube. Had to shift a rock, move some substrate and crowd a crypt, but not a huge deal.

Overall, WIN!

·
Registered
166 Posts
How about making one with PVC and then painting it black with Krylon Fusion paint? I have done this on 4 tanks now (A total of 8 spray bars) and have had no issues with the paint coming off and it hides very nicely in front of a black background. Just get the Matte finish. It is aquarium safe to use, mine sat for 48 hours and a rinse before putting it in the tank.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you use Fusion spray cans? I just checked Krylon's web site and for plastic they seem to offer only spray cans.

Do you think it's OK to use it on intake & outlet bars? My tanks have a black background and I'd love to hide Eheim pipes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It is only offered in spray can, I have used it on 8 spraybars. The one thing that I would say is so put a few coats on it and let is sit for a while before putting it in the tank. It needs to be dry before putting it in the tank. It will seem dry to the touch, but its not dry. I left mine to dry for 2 days.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts