The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
I recently purchased this yellowish fish with a backward C tail

Ok, I have like a ton of fish in my tank and 1 jet black fish ( black molly).

This yellow fish I recently got will only attack the black fish and not touch any other fish. It will hunt this one fish down and constantly ram him to try to push him out of the tank.

I have had people come to my house and look at this tank and been like " Wow, that fish is really racist" and we all kind of laugh but I was wondering if its possible for a fish to be racist like this?

This black molly is usually harassing all the other fish, perhaps he harassed this new fish who was not going to take it and decided to fight black and stand up to the bully.

Very strange game of thrones stuff going on in fish tanks.

I am thinking that maybe I should put up a video so everyone can see it with their own eyes.

Thanks.

Reactions: AWolf

·
Registered
289 Posts
More likely he is just trying to impregnate her. You can tell because he looks like he is following her around trying to headbutt the belly. That's very different from actual fighting which is short and sharp and doesn't look so much like constant harassment.

At least that's what guppies tend to do. They are very very horny all the time. I have a few like that and they can end up harrasing other fish to death. Instead of isolating them you can put in more female guppies, but they can end up getting pregnant and spawning all over the tank and you'll be constantly donating them to your lfs.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Aggression levels are different for different coloured fish of the some species. I know of a study in swordtails that found the red ones most aggressive. In my tanks this may be true of the males but in the female tanks,my greens,neons and pineapples gives the larger red fish hell.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More likely he is just trying to impregnate her. You can tell because he looks like he is following her around trying to headbutt the belly. That's very different from actual fighting which is short and sharp and doesn't look so much like constant harassment.

At least that's what guppies tend to do. They are very very horny all the time. I have a few like that and they can end up harrasing other fish to death. Instead of isolating them you can put in more female guppies, but they can end up getting pregnant and spawning all over the tank and you'll be constantly donating them to your lfs.
I think these are molly's not guppies but I assume you are saying the same principal still applies?

If so, are Black and yellow mollies allowed to breed or are they too far apart?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sorry i was meant mollies.. d'oh! But yes it's the same behaviour and yes different colored ones can breed.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Yes, they can breed, I used to keep black mollies, as they were my canary in the mine for ich.
the things are so inbred these days, they fall sick at a drop of the hat. I wouldn't mind some wild sailfins though, they get HUUUGE. Think very carefully before breeding mollies, their reproduction rate makes most other livebearers look like amateurs. The yellow fish is a female unless it is a male that hasn't started showing sex yet.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
I have had people come to my house and look at this tank and been like " Wow, that fish is really racist" and we all kind of laugh but I was wondering if its possible for a fish to be racist like this?

Thanks.

Just like often happens in real life the issue has nothing to do with race, but racism is often blamed because those involved happen to be different colors.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
On a lighter note, our Dane has not met a Beagle he did not like or a Boxer he did not want to kill.
Go figure.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Evolutionary Biology/Behavior compels the fear of anything different. So yea, that damned fish is racist! But still alive. Where many before him/her are dead because they did not fear when they should have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.