The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got into the aquarium thing and bought an Eheim 2217 & an Eheim Ecco 2236 for my two tanks.

I wonder if I have to install new coarse (blue) and fine (white) pads when I clean the filters once or twice a month. Or, can I clean them and reuse them? If so, how should I clean them? Maybe, should I boil them?

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
You can clean them and then reuse them. No need to buy new ones and replace them unless they are (literally) falling apart.

The white filter pads are simply pre-cut filter floss. I like to replace mine when I clean my filter, but I just cut them out myself from a big roll of filter floss.

To clean them, do not boil them in water. Simply swishing them around in a bit of tank water (that you would remove during a regular water change anyway) to loosen up any of the junk will suffice.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I reuse the foam one over and over and never replace it. Just give it a very good rinsing...I run mine under a strong faucet and squeeze it out a number of times and then it's ready to be used again. As for the "filter floss" stuff...I used to buy it packaged for aquariums, but now I get it a little cheaper in an arts and crafts store packaged as "non-alergenic premium fiberfill," which I guess is for filling pillows. It's the same thing as the stuff packaged for aquariums and works exactly the same way.

·
Registered
405 Posts
...if you rince the pad in tank water you wont kill any of the good bacteria on it. It is a better practice if you can do it during water changes.

This is true. I prefer using two Eheim canisters on my tanks so that when I clean out one...rinsing as described above...the other one continues to work. But, if you only have one canister on your tank, you can leave a bit of the "dirty" filter floss in with the new stuff when you repack your canister. That will more quickly "see" the new, clean filter material than if you put all rinsed out and new medium in the tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.