The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I'm on the fence about keeping neons in a 5 gallon. Anything less, please no. 5 gallon with 5 neons alone you could most likely get away with just make sure to plant pretty heavy and don't expect to see "schooling" behaviour. They will shoal but most likely won't have the room to dart as a group from one side to the other.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
They don't need big groups. Tetras are not obligate schoolers. They won't die if you don't have a certain school size. But you will see more interesting and natural behavior the more that you can keep. I think the biggest issue with a tank smaller than a 10 gallon is water parameter stability. Especially when dealing with small sensitive fish.

·
Registered
239 Posts
They don't need big groups. Tetras are not obligate schoolers. They won't die if you don't have a certain school size. But you will see more interesting and natural behavior the more that you can keep. I think the biggest issue with a tank smaller than a 10 gallon is water parameter stability. Especially when dealing with small sensitive fish.
1. Tetras are active 2. Tetras are commonly stressed if they aren’t in a ‘crowded’ tank they need like 20 in a 20 gallon for good health

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Okay, so I'm just gonna throw this out there- you can't really say "tetra" and throw them all into 1 category. I believe we're talking about neons here. Neons tend to max out around and inch and a half, have an incredibly small bioload and aren't necessarily super active. They are likely to shoal in smaller numbers and take comfort in heavy planted areas. This is why I'm on the fence about them in a school of 5 in a 5 gallon. I think it can be done but I think a bit of thought needs to go into the planning of the layout to optimize planted and open area, maybe an overgrown wabi kusa design?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got 5 Glow Light Tetras in a 5.5. Not the fish I intended, but now standing by my decision. Planted but with open areas in the foreground, half of the midground and about 1/3 of the background not as densely planted so they can swim freely. They can hide out of sight from me or each other or hang and swim together or by themselves. No predators, superb water quality, a balanced diet help with their level of comfort.

A behavior that is completely absent: glass surfing. No one is trying to find a way out which tells me their stress levels probably are pretty low. I don't observe any concerning aggression. Normal chasing from time to time.

Having said that, I'm only 3 months into this adventure. I have a 10 gallon on standby I got on sale that I need to set up. I might or might not transfer them to the "big" pond but I doubt I would see any other kind of behavior if I planted in a similar fashion and if they were all by themselves. That does not mean 10 gallon is the same to them as 5, but you can throw fish in a 50 gallon and they might hide in one corner because they are stressed out by everything else around them or have them chilling in a 5 or 10.

Now, the water parameters stability is one thing people mention when it comes to big versus small. But I do believe, even a small tank if sufficiently planted will look after itself. Just do water changes (done within a couple of minutes) and general maintenance and ammonia et al are not a concern if cycled and planted.

On the other hand, if you have space and furniture supporting a 5 gallon, a 10 gallon is usually a possibility unless your furniture is flimsy to begin with. I bought the 5.5 out of impulse thinking it was the best I can do on top of my book shelf, but in hindsight a 10 G would have been equally suitable. Larger than that and I would rather buy a metal stand.

Just saw your other thread: adding fish to your 5 gallon beta tank. I think the beta would see them as invaders of his space and everyone might be stressed out in the end. Just get another tank for the neons.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Okay, so I'm just gonna throw this out there- you can't really say "tetra" and throw them all into 1 category. I believe we're talking about neons here. Neons tend to max out around and inch and a half, have an incredibly small bioload and aren't necessarily super active. They are likely to shoal in smaller numbers and take comfort in heavy planted areas. This is why I'm on the fence about them in a school of 5 in a 5 gallon. I think it can be done but I think a bit of thought needs to go into the planning of the layout to optimize planted and open area, maybe an overgrown wabi kusa design?
Emersed neon tetra?

I know pleco hillstream loach bichir lungfish reedfish snakehead and gobies can live somewhat emersed but I didn’t know neon tetras can

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Not adults, but not too young either. around 5 months I would say.
Ok so this is more information which is good. But what size tank are you going to put them in? Will they have tank mates? Plants? Filtration? All of these are important factors when it comes to if you can indeed add the fish.

It wasn’t racist, it was just bad videos of fish tanks. I i didn’t intend for it to be against anyone except the people who abused the fish
Mhmm. Sure.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Neons need at least 10 gallons 20 is a more common minimum, they need big schools of like 10-16+ the 5 for a school minimum thing is stupid
With comments like this you wont be here much longer than a split second. I can guarantee that.
@somewhatshocked has little patience for nonsense.
A tip: Look at how others respectfully respond to one another when have differences of opinion. Words like "stupid" do not come into play.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so this is more information which is good. But what size tank are you going to put them in? Will they have tank mates? Plants? Filtration? All of these are important factors when it comes to if you can indeed add the fish.

One of my friend has 6 Ember Tetras with a Betta in a 5 gallon, and I'm kinda going off of that, except with Neons. So, basically, 1 Betta, (not aggressive) in the tank I'm planning on putting them in, there's plants, a filter, and a heater.

·
Super Moderator
16,998 Posts
It wasn’t racist, it was just bad videos of fish tanks. I i didn’t intend for it to be against anyone except the people who abused the fish
It was racist. If you don't chill the heck out with trolling and post flooding, you're going to get the boot. Give it a rest.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.