The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my garden I grow zucchini and yellow summer squash. It's the end of the growing season, so I've picked all the remaining zucchini and I'm going to cut, blanch and freeze all of the small ones to use as food for my otos and BN plecos. Is there any reason I can't do the same with my small summer squash? Has anyone had luck feeding summer squash?

TIA!

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of course, they love it. You can zap in in the microwave for 20 seconds to soften it a bit.
Sweet! I have to admit that I throw the little frozen discs of zucchini right into the tank. Haven't had a fish's tongue get stuck to it yet. :wink:

Yep...same as zucchini.
That's what I figured, but just want to be sure.

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies!

·
Registered
529 Posts
In my garden I grow zucchini and yellow summer squash. It's the end of the growing season, so I've picked all the remaining zucchini and I'm going to cut, blanch and freeze all of the small ones to use as food for my otos and BN plecos. Is there any reason I can't do the same with my small summer squash? Has anyone had luck feeding summer squash?

TIA!
Hi Kosey929 - can you please tell me how long you put the zucc in the boiling water, and how large of pieces you're cutting? I've never tried this and would like your "recipe". :) I don't have any zucc/yellow squash left in my garden but I have a surplus of it every June/July and think I'll try this next year!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zucchini 'Recipe'

Hi Kosey929 - can you please tell me how long you put the zucc in the boiling water, and how large of pieces you're cutting? I've never tried this and would like your "recipe". :) I don't have any zucc/yellow squash left in my garden but I have a surplus of it every June/July and think I'll try this next year!

Thanks!
Of course! I only recently started growing/feeding zucchini and googled for a 'how to' myself and this method has worked well for me. I only use the small zucchinis that are 1 1/4" or less and cut thin disks about 1/8-1/4" or so. This size works well for me because I only have a few fish to feed in each tank and don't want too much at a time. If you're using larger squash, I'm sure you could cut the disks into quarters or something. Anyway, I set a pot of water to boil while I'm cutting and throw the disks into the hard boiling water for 2-3 minutes (no longer or they'll get too soft) then drain and immediately rinse with cold water to prevent further cooking. I throw them on some paper towels and gently pat to remove any excess water. I then arrange the disks on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and freeze them for about an hour. (This step is important as it keeps the disks from sticking to each other when they freeze.) Finally, I put the frozen disks in a freezer bag. It's super easy to grab one and throw it in the tank. At first they float but will sink in a few minutes.

If you've never fed zucchini before, don't be alarmed when the fish don't go after the food right away. My otos and BNs usually won't notice it for a few hours at least, but when they do eventually find it they go to town! I've read that you should remove any leftovers after a couple of days, but I've never had to do that because everythng gets eaten.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Raw zucchini is simple. Stick a fork in it. A stainless steel fork.
Canned green beans work well for some people. Mine ignore beans seeming to know I'll give them zucchini if they wait long enough.

Watermelon rind is good too. You get the good stuff they get the rest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.