The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a diy yeast CO2 bottle going and it seemed to be going fine. I was getting bubbles, but then I had some new fish die and, worried it may have been the CO2, I took it out.

Fast forward a few weeks and the plants look pretty bad and I was wondering if it is even possible to harm fish with diy CO2? I know that I have read that it is hard to even get enough CO2 in your tank using diy, so am I being silly?

I just don't like the idea of subjecting my fish to CO2 that they would find objectionable and want to know if that point is moot due to the low CO2 output from yeast.

My details are-
50g tank
~2.2watts per gallon lighting
Diana Walstad style tank with soil substrate covered by pea gravel
hob biowheel filter and powerhead for circulation

·
Registered
143 Posts
between the hob, power head and faily large tank, i doubt you had co2 in a dangerous range. how big of a diy setup? a properly setup drop checker would tell you for sure. maybe if your water was RO or had no buffering capacity that might make it more likely.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I guess one thing that strikes me is why you'd need co2 in a tank with 2.2 wpg...

Also, were/are you running just one 2 liter of DIY into this tank? If so, in a tank of this size, it really wouldn't make all that much difference anyway...

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i killed all my shrimp and 1 fish with diy in a 29 gal when i took my HOB off. not enough surface movement.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
My details are-
50g tank
~2.2watts per gallon lighting
Diana Walstad style tank with soil substrate covered by pea gravel
hob biowheel filter and powerhead for circulation
I guess one thing that strikes me is why you'd need co2 in a tank with 2.2 wpg...
A better question to ask is why use CO2 and 2.2 WPG when you are trying to run a Diana Walstad style tank (El Natural)?

Also, were/are you running just one 2 liter of DIY into this tank? If so, in a tank of this size, it really wouldn't make all that much difference anyway...
I agree with SvenBoogie; a single 2L DIY CO2 bottle will not be able to generate enough CO2 to suffocate your fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts