The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my tank for 3 days now and I was wondering if I could start adding plants.

My substrate is Caribsea eco-complete covered by white/brown aquarium sand and I’m going to add root tabs.

My plant List is:
Anubias

Crypts,

Banana lily

Water Wisteria

Water lettuce

Java fern

Ludwigia

Subwassertang

Bucephalandra

Brazilian pennywort

I am about to set up my light and from the reviews I’ve heard about it its medium Lighting,
My fertilizer is easy green all in one (aquarium co op.)
Though my only concern is that there is white jelly on my driftwood and my friend told me that it would be harmful to my plants but sources on the internet say it’s completely harmless.
Thats starting to confuse me.
Is that true that it’s harmful to plants?

Any answers would be appreciated!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes, it is a good time. Be generous with the root tabs. Go easy on the lighting - start with it on full strength only maybe 6 hours, then increase as needed. Put the anubias underneath/in the shade of other plants to avoid it collecting algae. Dont worry about the white stuff. Hold off on adding more than a couple fish, let your filters run at least a few weeks before trying to fill it up with inhabitants.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is a good time. Be generous with the root tabs. Go easy on the lighting - start with it on full strength only maybe 6 hours, then increase as needed. Put the anubias underneath/in the shade of other plants to avoid it collecting algae. Dont worry about the white stuff. Hold off on adding more than a couple fish, let your filters run at least a few weeks before trying to fill it up with inhabitants.
Thank you,
I will take notes on that.
and don’t worry, I’m doing a fishless cycle and adding ammonia

·
Registered
69 Posts
So I have had my tank for 3 days now and I was wondering if I could start adding plants.

My substrate is Caribsea eco-complete covered by white/brown aquarium sand and I’m going to add root tabs.

My plant List is:
Anubias

Crypts,

Banana lily

Water Wisteria

Water lettuce

Java fern

Ludwigia

Subwassertang

Bucephalandra

Brazilian pennywort

I am about to set up my light and from the reviews I’ve heard about it its medium Lighting,
My fertilizer is easy green all in one (aquarium co op.)
Though my only concern is that there is white jelly on my driftwood and my friend told me that it would be harmful to my plants but sources on the internet say it’s completely harmless.
Thats starting to confuse me.
Is that true that it’s harmful to plants?
I just came home to the floating white jelly stuff yesterday. I did same thing... looked online and seemed fairly harmless. I scooped as much out as I could get. Today I was going to do a pretty large water change and make sure its not clogging up filter tubes as a bunch of it is caught around my intake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts