The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a light for my 5gal hex at Lowes. The bulb says its a replacement for 100watt but it uses only 23watts. My question is what actual wattage is it putting off to the fishtank? 100watt would be too much for the 5gal tank.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I just bought a light for my 5gal hex at Lowes. The bulb says its a replacement for 100watt but it uses only 23watts. My question is what actual wattage is it putting off to the fishtank? 100watt would be too much for the 5gal tank.
Just so your clear on the terminology here zeldar... WATT (or wattage) is a measurement of electrical current usage. LUMEN is a measurement of the light given off by the bulb... PAR & PUR are measurements of the usable light energy given off by the bulb.

That light bulb will work for your tank... but you'll want to give serious consideration to some method of cO2 injection and maintaining a consistent fert regimen. If not algae will become an issue

HTH

Larry

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for yalls responses. Thats exactly what I needed to know.

Idk59, I just started dosing Seachem Flourish today. Is there any other ferts you would suggest? The only plants in the tank right now are Wisteria and Java Fern. However, I did order some HC so thats why I needed the higher wattage. Also looking to add a pellia or similar plant. I used eco complete for the substrate.

As for the co2 I didn't plan on setting up any injection. Has anyone used and/or liked the co2 tabs that you just add straight to the tank? I did order some Amano shrimp as well so if algae gets to be a problem, they should keep it under control

·
Registered
492 Posts
zeldar, if you want to stay with the Seachem line, there are a few articles here to read: http://www.seachem.com/Library/Articles.html#FiltrationBasics

I think you'll find that most here will recommend using dry ferts (much cheaper) and dosing per the Estimative Index method (EI):
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/EI.htm

I can't comment on the tablets as I've never used them. DIY C02 isn't
all that complicated, and better than nothing if pressurized C02 is outside of your budget...

Your HC will not do well without some method of C02 injection.

Hope this Helps

Larry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts