The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 gallon planted tank which has been running for 4 months now has near zero algae. The water is crystal clear. All the plants are growing like crazy & look excellent. This all happened about a month ago. After battling BGA & cycling issues early on even green water the tank came back after making some serious changes. This only happened once in my life before & big trouble happened. In that case I mixed in massive amounts of r/o water & then my plants started dying. Now I am using dry ferts with the whole 9 yards. Could I be looking at a crash coming or should I just enjoy it an not worry. I was under the impression that some algae is healthy, but my plants look so good they almost look fake.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have lots of snails. I started with just 5 pond or I will call them that because I have not I d them yet. I also have 2 cherry shrimps. I started with 3 but one died from a cycling storm/ green water condition. My 2 remaining are doing well , however the snails get the credit. I run twin canister filters & use 80% remineralized r/o water with a light fish load. Actually no fish now but had fish. New fish are being Q.T now for planted tank.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
there is algae, always algae, but as long as u can't see it, that's a good thing and a good sign

the cleaners in ur tank eat algae when its trying to get established and it never grows

now if ur plants were healthy, ur cleaners wouldnt be able to help at all but because healthy plants prevent massive algae growth, the cleaners handle the rest

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, but could it also be a sign of a deficiency? My best guess is, its the opposite. The nutrients are balanced , so the plants have what they need so they can outcompete the algae with the help of the cleaners. Now I have to cut the population down because If I do not feed them they will & are starting to eat the plants.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.