The Planted Tank Forum banner

Is Flash Photography Harmful to my Shrimp?

1408 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  james0816
Hi guys,

I'm new to the hobby and was wondering if flash photography is harmful to my cherry shrimp at all. I was taking some photos and accidentally flashed it one directly in the face (he was right against the glass). He seemed really dazed, absolutely no more motion at all, and he stood stiff like that for quite a while, at least an hour. Is he ok?

Thanks!
Andy
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
The flash shouldn't be harmful to the shrimp.

Though, when taking pictures, I would turn off the flash anyway, as you get that annoying glare off the glass.
Yeah, the only kind of flash that works all that great with aquarium photography is remote flashes positioned above the tank pointing straight down.

Straight on flashes are pointed right at the shrimps eyes, and will cause glare or wash the color out of everything.
I don't think it will hurt them, but sure will shock them (and fish for that matter). Can't tell you how many times I've ruined that "perfect" shot because I changed the settings on the camera and forgot to turn off the flash. Grrrrrr!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.