The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like everyone is having bad shrimp die offs on these forums (and on others). I'm afraid I MIGHT be starting to have one myself. A few weeks ago, I actually managed to kill an rcs before any crs. A few days ago, I lost a crs, and I found another dead crs this morning, leaving only two crs and two rcs. They seem to be ok for now. I'm really hoping I can get my tank back to perfect before my rilis come. It may be the ph (7.4) in my tank that has killed those three shrimp. I added an indian almond leaf yesterday and will add another today.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I had my pH at 7.6 with my cherries and crystals then setup a crystal only tank and got them in there and they did fine. They can live in a high pH, even breed sometimes but its a lot harder to do and a lot easier in a lower pH with crystals. Cherries can do any pH. lol.

I'm not sure if its temp spikes, or not. I have fans running on my tank and my heater on so it stays pretty steady all the time. I also try not to muck with my water too much. Top off what evap's from the fans, small, small water changes now and again, thats about it.

EDIT:

I also moved the crystals from the 7.6 to 6.4 tank with a small drip, maybe an hour or so, they took a 1.2 pH drop. 1 died a few days later, related, not sure. 1 lost some red on the front of the body and never recovered, related again, I don't know but I moved over 20 CRS and that's all that happened. I know the red loss won't be affected in offspring and she is berried anyways, so its not a huge thing to me. I then had cherries in the new tank as well and dripped them to go from 6.4 to 7.6pH over an hour again and I have 3 of them berried now and about 10 saddled.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Nope not me.. I did randomly lose 1 cherry a few weeks ago but just had 3 berried crystals give birth and have 1 left that I'm waiting on to hatch so I can move her to be selectively bred with the others. And then there's around 12 or so saddled cherries and a few already berried ^^

I think the big die offs on te forums lately have been relatively new setups/new shrimp keepers, which happens(even happened to me when i started) and not in any established tanks really.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that crs of mine that died a few days ago got a little pale in the head before, and I couldn't bring it back to health. The one I lost this morning looked fine yesterday. No pale colors at all. My female is still berried now, and seems to be more active at this moment for some reason. My "best" rcs looks more red this morning too. I wonder what happened last night!

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Nope not me.. I did randomly lose 1 cherry a few weeks ago but just had 3 berried crystals give birth and have 1 left that I'm waiting on to hatch so I can move her to be selectively bred with the others. And then there's around 12 or so saddled cherries and a few already berried ^^

I think the big die offs on te forums lately have been relatively new setups/new shrimp keepers, which happens(even happened to me when i started) and not in any established tanks really.
I agree too, especially about the new tank part. So many things going on. Was reading on Shrimpnow how someone just went to Japan and was talking with the breeders and for the crystals, they never change water. They just top up. Shrimp love all the little stuff that grows in the water that we constantly take out by changing water 3x a week like some people. They probably also cycle their tanks for a few months first before adding any $300 shrimp.

Was talking to another breeder on another forum and hes like, let the algae grow on your tank, keep the lights on and let it grow, the shrimp and baby shrimp will love it. He's like my shrimp tanks ain't pretty but they give great yields with no die offs. He showed me a few pics, half the tank wall covered in green algae, and hundreds of beautiful shrimp in the tank as well.

So far the best thing I have found for maintaining a good pH for crystals is netlea soil. Constant 6.4pH, gH 4, kH 1 and I top off with heavy 7.6pH tap water. I do mix maybe 1 gal of distilled water to 5 gal of tap water but I don't even think thats needed and may drop that step and watch the pH. I think if you're using soil like that and doing a 50% water change every week, it is going to wear out the buffering effect of the substrate and give pH swing. Top of 3% of the water every week and it shouldn't be a problem. I have 4 berried crystals now and don't muck with RO and adding stuff back and then adding this to reduce this, and then more of this to get it perfect. I like the KISS principle to this. Keep it simple stupid. Start off easy and see how it goes before everyone starts jumping into messing with RO water and all the additives and trying to get an ideal number.

I hate loosing a shrimp, but unless I loose more than 1 in a week, I chalk it up to just life. Most of my shrimp, I have no idea on the age of them, as I'm waiting on all my berried shrimp to give me my first batch of babies and I've tried to keep it simple and not do too much and just let them be.

·
Registered
357 Posts
this time of year many reservoirs and other supplies of water are experiencing higher evaporation thanks to the weather not to mention less rain in general. this concentrates elements found naturally in source waters. so an ro /di system is the best safe guard especially in areas with hard water or other water impurities

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It seems like everyone is having bad shrimp die offs on these forums (and on others).
I think it's confirmation bias. People who post on here are usually looking for a solution to their problems. Confirming the trend by noticing a dead shrimp here or there doesn't work, because it neglects all of the people who aren't posting and who aren't having problems.

It's exactly the same thing that happens with crime news. Crimes get better reporting nationwide than they used to and people get the idea that crime rates are higher. That is further supported, to them, by additional crime news, when in reality crime rates are historically low in the US.

You hear commentators say silly things like, "Crime may be at a low level but people feel like it is more common." Well, in this case, "Shrimp deaths may or may not be at a low level, but people feel like they are more common." :) Without any sort of properly collected data set, there's just no way to know.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I think it's confirmation bias. People who post on here are usually looking for a solution to their problems. Confirming the trend by noticing a dead shrimp here or there doesn't work, because it neglects all of the people who aren't posting and who aren't having problems.

It's exactly the same thing that happens with crime news. Crimes get better reporting nationwide than they used to and people get the idea that crime rates are higher. That is further supported, to them, by additional crime news, when in reality crime rates are historically low in the US.

You hear commentators say silly things like, "Crime may be at a low level but people feel like it is more common." Well, in this case, "Shrimp deaths may or may not be at a low level, but people feel like they are more common." :) Without any sort of properly collected data set, there's just no way to know.
That too. I own my own business doing xbox and playstation repairs, and you read forums or chatrooms and of course its full of people having problems. No one reports, hey, my xbox is working fine, just wanted to post. There may be 100 people in the chatroom with problems but 30million people without.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I don't see this as an epidemic as I've always had problems in my CRS only tank. I use all Mosura product, only do top-offs, and use Amazonia 1. I use RO/DI with Fluval Mineral Supplement. My ph is 6.6, GH4, KH 0. I will get lots of berried shrimps, but eventually they all die. I have pretty much run out of ideas on this one. No matter what I've tried, no luck. Out of about 30 CRS/CBS, I have about 6 left, but I hold no hope for their survival.

Now my cherry tank? Zero deaths even with a high nitrate content and yellow drop checker from CO2.

My blue pearl tank? I have 9 berried females in a nano right now. Zero deaths.

·
Banned
4,616 Posts
Neos are like living tanks, I swear. Which is why RCS/Blue Pearls and the like can live in just about anything. Sometimes I even think they could live in toxic slug. lol

As for CRS, I get 1 or two deaths here and there, but usually from old age. Babies on the other hand, some will live, and then suddenly all will die off. I think that has more to do with my darn cat drinking all the water and my filters stop working. lol

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
My first of babies batch all died when they were about 2 weeks old.. I made an acrylic nursery for this time, caught any I found (about 25 or so, mostly high grades) and left them in the nursery for a few weeks.. just a few days ago I let them go in the main tank, and they all seem fine. Haven't noticed any deaths yet. Fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Neos are like living tanks, I swear. Which is why RCS/Blue Pearls and the like can live in just about anything. Sometimes I even think they could live in toxic slug. lol

As for CRS, I get 1 or two deaths here and there, but usually from old age. Babies on the other hand, some will live, and then suddenly all will die off. I think that has more to do with my darn cat drinking all the water and my filters stop working. lol
I kept two juviie cherries in a cereal bowl with some moss for two months. No light, no food, no anything. I topped off the water once or twice with tap. They were fine.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I agree too, especially about the new tank part. So many things going on. Was reading on Shrimpnow how someone just went to Japan and was talking with the breeders and for the crystals, they never change water. They just top up. Shrimp love all the little stuff that grows in the water that we constantly take out by changing water 3x a week like some people. They probably also cycle their tanks for a few months first before adding any $300 shrimp.
They also run multiple air powered sponge filters, and run 3 canister filters in a row (with the inflow going through another sponge filter). The level of filtration going on in those tanks is absolutely insane.

·
Banned
943 Posts
They also run multiple air powered sponge filters, and run 3 canister filters in a row (with the inflow going through another sponge filter). The level of filtration going on in those tanks is absolutely insane.
You know that for a fact? Not to be rude just want to make sure its a valid statement. I cant take anyones word for it in this hobby.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
GDP,

I don't change my water in my main shrimp tank only top offs with RO. However, I am running UGF and equivalent of 3 canisters inline so I have an insane amount of bio filteration. The only time I change water is when I get random deaths, then I'll do a quickie.

My TDS is stable, so are all the other parameters.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
You know that for a fact? Not to be rude just want to make sure its a valid statement. I cant take anyones word for it in this hobby.
it's surely a fact indeed. They keep their tanks at a low pH (under 6) and the acidic environment gives the nitrifying bacteria a difficult time, therefore they run UGF, chained canisters and sponge filters and keep it highly oxygenated so the bacteria can survive much easier. The thread on shrimpnow was actually about korean shops, but I was just in Japan and saw a few taiwan bee setups that were very similar.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.