The Planted Tank Forum banner

is cool white cree XTE enough for plant growth ?

1665 4
Hi all

I have a clone of ADA 60P tank runing with 12 cree XTE LEDS at 1.5A with 45 degree lenses and at height of 14 inch ( 35 CM )

setup was 12 cree XTE LEDS : 6x cool white 6500 - 3x Warm white 3000k - 3x nature white 4000k

and everything was great and i had a nice plant growth and someday i decided to change the 3x nature white to cool white i just like the cooler look, but now my plants are not growing the same that was with the nature white specially the Pygmy Chain Sword it was growing like a weed

so from your experience is the Cool white XTE are not enough for the plant growth or i may have something wrong with my tank ?

it is low tech shrimp tank with no fertz or co2

photo period : 8 hours

plants: xmas moss , anubias nana , brown crypt ,Pygmy Chain Sword
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Hi all

I have a clone of ADA 60P tank runing with 12 cree XTE LEDS at 1.5A with 45 degree lenses and at height of 14 inch ( 35 CM )

setup was 12 cree XTE LEDS : 6x cool white 6500 - 3x Warm white 3000k - 3x nature white 4000k

and everything was great and i had a nice plant growth and someday i decided to change the 3x nature white to cool white i just like the cooler look, but now my plants are not growing the same that was with the nature white specially the Pygmy Chain Sword it was growing like a weed

so from your experience is the Cool white XTE are not enough for the plant growth or i may have something wrong with my tank ?

it is low tech shrimp tank with no fertz or co2

photo period : 8 hours

plants: xmas moss , anubias nana , brown crypt ,Pygmy Chain Sword
Hard to say but your orig setup had more of a "balanced" spectrum which you now shifted to heavy blue w/ a shortage of deep red.

Mentally combine these together..add more of the blue (2:1 ratio) now think of the just blue line w/ a little of the red line(which is what you currently have)

That said you also could be out of "food".........

Err.. rereding your post (and too lazy to delete).. you kept the WW's.... shouldn't have changed enough in spectrum to be an issue..so it is probably food.. (CO2 n/ nutrients)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your input :) yeah i kept the WW's so my setup now is 9x CW and 3x WW

so you are saying if i used only cool whites i wouldn't have a good growth ?

and about co2 i have never used co2 with this tank and growth was perfect for a low tech tank , about fertz i used to dose very small amounts of kno3 , kh2po4 and some Fe but i really didn't dose for months now

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
any way my main question , is using Cree XTE cool white ( 6500 k ) is enough for plants to grow rather in high tech or low tech or adding warm white is a must ?
most of the commercial fixtures use this or close. (my little Finnex uses 7000k and then some 660nm reds). I don't think anyone would say they can't grow plants well.. sometimes it is more a matter of quantity..

That said there are arguably better spectrums...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.