The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my 125 isn't doing well plant wise. Nearly every plant in my tank is browning or melting away and dying. It's been an ongoing battle since I moved from my 55 to my 125. Water Sprite is the only thing growing nicely.

Plants are wisteria, Water Sprite, Amazon sword, jungle val, anubius, Java fern, and AR repens.

I dose Micros and macros from gla using ei method. No c02. I was dosing excel but it seems to be doing more harm than good. I also have root tabs.

Light is 2 30" Finnex Planted Plus 24/7s on 24/7 mode, and a 48" Finnex Planted Plus on an 8 hour timer.

My 55 was a jungle. This tank plain sucks so far and I don't know what the issue is. I almost want to give up plants it's looking so bad. Any help?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hello, strange, even anubias are doing bad? Those could grow even with light from a well lit room, albeit slowly.

What is AR repens?

Is the 125G tank's height more than the ancient 55G one?

The plants are going through an adaptation phase to the new tank and new conditions?

Michel.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tanks been set up since November with most plants added in January.

Sorry I meant S repens. Tank is 3 inches taller than the 55 was. Thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts
My only advice is keep trying. Your current experience sounds like what I have been experiencing... They live for a while till they die, not thriving. However, in another tank which I do virtually nothing for the plants grow slowly but they do not die. Are you doing water changes?

·
Planted Tanker
5,996 Posts
Full EI is too much ferts for a non co2 tank, especially micros.

Could be a light issue, google around for par rating on the fixtures you're using. pay particular attention to how the par changes the further you get from being directly under the light. (most par charts include this info).

For example if the light is in the center, plants on the front or back wall are getting far less light than directly underneath.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Don't get discouraged. What was your substrate? perhaps the 8 hr photoperiod may be stressing the plants along with the 24/7? I've got a t8 above a 10g that rides a delicate balance of keeping enough light to avoid issues, and not so much that it melts the plants. I keep that on about 3.5 hrs a day, and it has saved what few plants were left after I left the light on for 24hrs by accident. Eek.

Not to rant, but I just thought I would share, as shortening my photoperiod was the fix for me.

Good luck!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do 2 water changes per week as its a discus tank. Substrate is pool filter sand. I just don't get it lol.

I thought about getting one of those small c02 kits for like a 50g and see if it helps.

So should I stop with the ei ferts and see what happens?

·
Planted Tanker
5,996 Posts
Wouldnt stop entirely. Non co2 tanks usually dose 1/4-1/3 levels couple time a week maybe.

CO2 can definitely help a low light tank.

But if the same basic system was doing well before you switched tanks...something changed. You just need to figure out what it is.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well on the 55 I dosed liquid ferts 2 to 3 times a week and had a single 48" planted plus on a split 8 hour timer. I had algae but I had tremendous growth in my plants. Water changes were once per week.

This tank everything is just browning or not growing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts