The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see in the photo, I have a good patch of BBA going on the rocks. It has been there for a few years, though I have just recently started heavily planting and using C02 and liquid ferts and root tabs. So it has become a bit more lush, and it is also strarting to grow on the edges of my slow growing java fern.
Should I be concerned for my plants? I don't really mind the looks of it as it blows in the current. And I like to watch my corys wade through it picking out food.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I had a good deal of it and was not concerned either. The downside seems to come around now when I am selling a tank. I find it really, really hard to remove to make things look good for selling. Inside the tubing on my canister was a real pain as brushes and cloth run through would not get it. I wound up fighting a fish tape through to scrape it off. I might fight it a little more if there is a next time.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have it too and doesnt seem to have any solution as far as getting rid of it. I'm taking out patches and plants down the trash, and if it continues I'm just going with hardscape and no plants. Finding the impossible solution is just not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Its a pain, its normally not that bad but its really a nuisance when it gets onto my slower growing plants and older leafs.

I'm just hitting it with h202 and removing any affected leafs. I think water changes and removing dead plant material are also crucial, as I think it is brought on by random nutrient spikes in the water column.

I've cut my dosing down significantly because of it but have to tweak it to help the plants gain the upper hand again.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have a massive outbreak of black algae i am dealing with, but mine never gets "hairy" like others I see, just like this thin coat on plants and hardscape.

It came about because I had to go three weeks without a decent water change.

I have read that increased water changes for a month will help a lot. And that the worst thing you can do is change your dosing of ferts.

I took out most of the hardscape and washed/H2O2 most of it off as best i could. But getting it off the plants is tough. I am letter my bacopa grow out of it. The new growth looks clean, so I will trim that off and replace anything I cant clean up. My swords is a different issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts