The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about how to setup my greenhouse here in Arizona and found a growing operation that uses grow towers to produce food. Based on what I'm seeing in the design it looks like a great idea for emersed aquatic plant growth. Anyone have any experience with these for aquarium plants? It would be kept in a greenhouse to maintain humidity and control temp. The thing I like about this idea is the space needed per plant grow. Much more economical space wise.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Hi Willcooper,

It looks like a small pump in the reservoir pumps nutrients/water to the top and it filters down through some sort of media? If so it should work for some species but likely not others; trial and error would be in order. I find that my plants do best if grown in very high humidity, the typical greenhouse is definitely humid - but possibly not humid enough for some species.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Great idea! It could be made on a smaller scale to fit inside aquariums. Maybe push the water out of the plant holes and back into the aquarium, like a waterfall? Make it T shaped so that plants could grow across the top of the water surface...so many ideas...

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Willcooper,

It looks like a small pump in the reservoir pumps nutrients/water to the top and it filters down through some sort of media? If so it should work for some species but likely not others; trial and error would be in order. I find that my plants do best if grown in very high humidity, the typical greenhouse is definitely humid - but possibly not humid enough for some species.
That is exactly what it is. I don't think they are using media for what they are using it for because they are terrestrial plants. Think more like a trickle filter. What I was thinking was doing is something like wool clothe like what plants are shipped in. The wool would keep everything saturated enough; I think. I'm growing emersed plants right now with much less water than what would be flowing over them at all times. The grower Dennerle (Europes largest grower) keeps humidity at about 60-70% and closer to 100% for anubias so I know I can keep those conditions in a greenhouse. The anubias sections are just a greenhouse within a greenhouse.

Great idea! It could be made on a smaller scale to fit inside aquariums. Maybe push the water out of the plant holes and back into the aquarium, like a waterfall? Make it T shaped so that plants could grow across the top of the water surface...so many ideas...
That is an idea. I have a buddy who does something similar to it. It's part of his filtration. I'm thinking of it for growing and selling plants

1 - 4 of 4 Posts