The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding my 10 gal cube tank. Canister filter is too old and stopped working so need another one.

I like the Oase ones with easy clean pre-filter, but the smallest one is 250 gal/hour. Would that be too much for a 10gal tank? I wonder if anyone tried that. It does have flow adjustment but I'm not sure how much you can dial down without harming the filter.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
250 gallons per hour is waaaayyyy too much for a 10 gallon. Typical recommendation is 4-8 times per hour turnover. I do have a filtosmart thermo 100 on a 8.6 gallon betta tank which is also crazy. I installed a ball valve on the output side and turned it down till I got a level of flow that worked for me. You could do the same with the 250. The built in controls don't close down very well. There is no hard limit on what you can turn a filters output down to. The motors are all controlled by electromagnetics not gears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.