The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 55g tank has medium gravel (slightly smaller than pea sized) on the top layer and laterite below. I found out that laterite doesn't contain a lot of macros, which explains why my swords arent doing well.

My question is, is it safe to add ferts like osmocote plus gel caps or osmocote potshots to my substrate if I bury them deep or will the stuff in there leech out?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Osmocote plus root tabs are the way to go...I've never heard of any horrendous "leeching" stories and they provide large amounts of nutrients for an extended amount of time!

·
Registered
879 Posts
They will leach a bit but nothing to worry about as it's no different than dosing the water column. Keep tabs on you water parameters and if anything you could reduce your water column dosing a bit. I have very course gravel (river pebbles of various sizes) and see no issues.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks. To be safe I think I'll start with 2 or 3 and then measure Ammonia for a few days just to see how much actually comes out of the substrate but it sounds like I have nothing to worry about since all the other stuff in there is already being added with water column ferts. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
879 Posts
You shouldn't get any measurable ammonia from simply adding root tabs. You shouldn't be messing in the substrate enough for that and the root tabs won't give off ammonia.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts