The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clippard solenoid failed (doesn't shut off even when unplugged) 3 weeks ago . I continued running the setup with the solenoid valve inline (with the leak) for a while until recently when I found a leak near the bubble counter.

Will running a CO2 system without the solenoid valve shut off put undue stress on the components? I am wondering if running it 24hrs a day (less than a bubble a second) could have caused the leak.

I don't see why that would be a problem, but I'm not sure.

I'm thinking of running the system without a solenoid valve but not if it is going to cause problems.

The regulator is a dual stage victor and the needle valve seems to be of good quality too, not sure of the make.

Edit: fixed a bubble a minute to a bubble a second lol

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
if you want the ability, once you have it DIALED in bps, to have it on a timer so that it will shut off at night THEN yes it is required.

The other option is to closed the valve MANUALLY and when you reopen DIAL in the bps once again.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did I read "less than a bubble per minute" right? I doubt you could ever gas the fish at that rate regardless. Any leak would use more CO2 than that. lol
Haha, I made the same mistake twice. I mean a bubble a second. A bubble a minute would probably last me the 10lb tank for a full decade.

I guess I'll give it a shot without the solenoid and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for your input!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
running without the solenoid has ZERO impact on the "system". The danger is in gassing the fish at night. A low bps will prob not risk that at all, but those of us that ran at high levels during the day would be in trouble at night.

Some evidence, if not anecdotal, shows great results from running 24/7 as opposed to day only.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for the info, I feel much better about running it 24/7.

I do have good filtration with a bio wheel filter so I think the oxygen levels will be acceptable for the fish.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I've always run my CO2 24 hours a day, lots of people do. The only negative effect is going through gas faster.
Plants also give off co2 at night and use o2, easy to gas your fish at night unless there is plenty of surface agitation, not saying you can't do it but that isn't the only drawback.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
If you want to shut it off manually at night, all you have to do is have a large welding flow valve (the kind that come factory assembled on commercial regs) in addition to your actual needle valve. You can use that to shut it off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.