The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20g set up as a growing aquarium, I am using plastic cups with substrate to grow them in, I want to label the cups, but I am worried that a sharpie ink will mess up the water or kill my rasboras. Any ideas.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Don't know for sure, but the pet stores often write on the bag with sharpie and then tell you to float the bag in your tank....

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Well, I don't think I would throw a Sharpie in the tank, they've got Toluene or Xylene or something toxic like that in them (all "permanent" markers do.) But I wouldn't think that the little bit of ink you use writing would be that much of a problem. If you're still concerned about it (and you have the money) you could use a label maker loaded with laminated tape. I don't know how long that would last underwater, but I've made labels from these types of tapes to label some of my plants and flowers outside and they show no sign of wear or fading after two years. A moderately priced label maker can be had for under $50. The tapes are a bit more expensive, around $18-20, but they last a long time (also handy for labeling plastic storage bins that have "stuff" in them ;).)

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
LOL, total thread Hijack:
Dry Erase markers aer the worst\best.

OK, back to the question, I have never seen a problem floating a bag, but not sure how it would work long term submersed.

How about the glass paint(?) markers, and just write the name in front on the glass?

Or a label?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.