The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i go to my local pet store in search of two angels. I head to the best and most expensive store in town. I head over to the angelfish section and pick out these two fish out of a bunch of 15. They all had this rounded kind of fin. Is this normal for angelfish to have this rounded top fin? These two were ment for breeding purposes in the future and im not too physced to be breeding angels which are just messed up. Any advice on why the angels are like this and if its normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
987 Posts
I think you might be confusing broad fin. Pinoy refers to the coloration; not finnage. More often than not, bent fins are due to damage, either from tank mates, or less than clean conditions. Since you said most all the fish at the store were like this, it was probably the latter.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I dont think its technically a rounded fin so much as a "bent" fin. This is something that happens to angels and last time I looked there was not real consensus on a definitive answer. Lots of speculation about it happening to fish that are raised in less than ideal parameters (either too small of a tank, or a tank thats not perfectly maintained). I think its nothing more than aesthetics though and shouldn't be an indication of an unhealthy fish.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks kinda like a pinoy variety to me. In this case, the fin shape is normal.
No it is not normal for any type of Angel. Any reputable Angel breeder will tell you that those fins are definitely a defect. Sorry to say this but the top fish is definitely a cull. To each his own, but I would definitely not breed those fish.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Bent fins can be passed genetically but could also be due to poor housing and water conditions.

I have read that many times people will trim right below the bend and the new growth will be straighter. Sometimes this process is required more than once. If it's genetics it will grow back the same bent as before.

If you are going to trim the fins you need to ensure premium water conditions before and after. Also use a sterile quality scissors.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.