The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope to start up a 75 low tech, no Co2, fine sand, densly planted tank. I will be using ferts and root tabs.
I realize that sand brings a whole bunch of challenges. I would love to avoid those challenges, but it will be home to Coryadorables, so.
I have done some research, but If you have a happy, low tech, no Co2 planted tank in fine sand, could you please share your pics and advice?
Or if this is just not possible, I need to know that, too.
Thank you. :0)

·
Banned
35 Planted Aquariums
37 Posts
No - Its called jungle val - loves sand. Just do yourself a favor and get real aquatic sand - not the pool filter media that literally says on the bag that the dust is carcinogenic.

Reactions: Barbels

·
Registered
785 Posts
Here is a journal for a Cory tank with mostly epiphytes attached to wood and rock along with some grassy plants in the sand. Skip to the end to see the very nice final product.

Regarding pool filter sand safety. According to Google... "The Universal Source of Truth":

"Rather than containing a whole host of minerals, as beach and play sands do, pool sand primarily consists of crushed silica quartz. The dust from this type of sand is a Class 1A carcinogen that can cause a fatal lung condition called silicosis."

So it is the fine silica dust that might be an issue and it would have to be breathed in. Wear a mask as you put it in the aquarium and then rinse the sand well and siphon off the water multiple times. There are probably hundreds of tanks on just TPT alone that use pool sand. I use it in my own tank as the "beach". I have a dozen Pygmy Cories but do turn off my filter for feeding and drop pellets on the sand. I use aqua soil in the back of the tank where I have most of my rooted plants. See link to journal below.

If you search here for "cory tank" you will find lots more good examples. If you google for "best sand for Cories" you will get wildly diverging and opposing opinions...I know, hard to believe !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.