The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a 125 soon and it's 72x20x24. I was thinking about doing 3 Kessil A150 Amazon Sun. That would put coverage for each light at 24x20x24, which it sounds like they can do.

Is this stupidly overpowered for a 24" deep tank? Am I wafting my money? What are some other options? I'd strongly prefer pendants over a 72" strip of lights like a Finnex or something. Are there any other LED pendants worth looking at?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Maybe take a look at the AquaticLife Halo lights?

I went through this whole debate a couple months ago but did end up getting BML strips. The Kessil was really nice and I ended up buying one to test and then returned it. Like others have complained, the lack of red in the spectrum was not hte look I was looking for.

I almost bit the bullet and went Halo after this thread on here but ultimately decided to go BML. I would definitely take a look at the Halo lights though if you are looking for a pendant. They are also 20% off for a couple more days.

edit: bsantucci beat me to it. It was his tank I saw that almost made me go Halo. Looks really nice.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Maybe take a look at the AquaticLife Halo lights?

I went through this whole debate a couple months ago but did end up getting BML strips. The Kessil was really nice and I ended up buying one to test and then returned it. Like others have complained, the lack of red in the spectrum was not hte look I was looking for.

I almost bit the bullet and went Halo after this thread on here but ultimately decided to go BML. I would definitely take a look at the Halo lights though if you are looking for a pendant. They are also 20% off for a couple more days.

edit: bsantucci beat me to it. It was his tank I saw that almost made me go Halo. Looks really nice.
Hah yep. I should be made their spokesman for this forum!

I really do love these lights though. Plants are growing great, especially since I dumped the eco complete substrate for florinvolcanit, but that's another story.

The Halos for sure have a great red spectrum. The coloring you can get is great. Plus the master light has the controller built in, you don't need to buy another controller like Kessil. So for your tank, you'd need 1 master and 2 slaves if you want to go with 3.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$900 for 6' of light is more than I was hoping for. I know Kessils are a few bucks more than that (would be about $1000) but at least you can sometimes find those used.

Are there any other decent pendants? I'm considering the Halos now, but I'm not sure about the color temp. I really like a daylight/crisp white kinda color and that looks kinda yellow from the picture.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
$900 for 6' of light is more than I was hoping for. I know Kessils are a few bucks more than that (would be about $1000) but at least you can sometimes find those used.

Are there any other decent pendants? I'm considering the Halos now, but I'm not sure about the color temp. I really like a daylight/crisp white kinda color and that looks kinda yellow from the picture.

You can change the spectrum with the controller on the Halos. Give me a bit when I get home from work and I'll post it swung to the whiter spectrum for you. I have mine a tick towards warmer as that's my preference.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know you said the 150, but I just got the A360WE Tuna Sun and I really like it. I have one over my tank that's 24"x18"x18" and it covers it and more. I have it 9" off the water. I'll get you some pics, but with the controllable color and brightness, it's nice to be able to make it how you want. I have mine hooked up to an apex controller and making a schedule for it was super easy and it works great. Kessil also has there own controller which is supposed to be easy to use as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm setting up a 125 soon and it's 72x20x24. I was thinking about doing 3 Kessil A150 Amazon Sun. That would put coverage for each light at 24x20x24, which it sounds like they can do.

Is this stupidly overpowered for a 24" deep tank? Am I wafting my money? What are some other options? I'd strongly prefer pendants over a 72" strip of lights like a Finnex or something. Are there any other LED pendants worth looking at?
Consider doing the A160 rather than the A150 -- those give you the ability to adjust the intensity and spectrum, either manually or with a controller. I've got a pair of A160s over a 20" high tank, and at 40% intensity I'm getting around 55 mmols of par at the substrate.

I'm pretty happy with mine (I've got them over three tanks); the color rendition is pleasing to me, and I've got no problem growing red plants, etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's a beautiful tank, thanks. I've still got some thinking to do.

Edit: just occurred to me - this tank has a center brace. A pendant won't work unless I do 4 pendants (every 15 inches or so) and that seems pointless. An extra $240 because of the brace. How bad would it be to go for 2 of them? There's no way it would work, tank would be too dark in between.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.