The Planted Tank Forum banner

Is a journal really worth keeping?

553 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  macclellan
I was just curious about what others thought about journaling what is happening in the tank. I understand doing it for the set up and then maybe if there is a problem but just for standard upkeep i was wondering what others thought. I tried to keep one a while back but never really got into it but was thinking i probalby should with going to diy co2 and a few other things.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
I do it just too keep tabs on what I'm adding into the water. Say something is going right, and you want to remember the ferts/lighting period, you write a little note about it. But if it changes for the worse, you know that whatever you did in the past 1-2 weeks doesn't work well with your tank.

I have a little notepad with just daily changes being noted, just in case.
I'm using a journal to keep track of filter replacements, weekly maintenance, and fert dosage until I get a dosing regiment worked out. Plus I suffer from CRS......and I'm sure I would forget.
The only time I ever kept notes of any kind was when I cycled my first tank My tank is low tech (no ferts or co2) so I see no reason for it.
The only time I ever kept notes of any kind was when I cycled my first tank My tank is low tech (no ferts or co2) so I see no reason for it.

I wouldn't keep a journal for a low tech. but if it's a high-tech tank, most people want to show others what their doing. I like to read journals if im having a problem with my setup, and read other people's journals who have similar setups as mine. It sometimes helps diagnose a problem.
Personally, I think a blog is better for basic journaling. For Scheduling I use Mozilla Thunder Bird's Calendar and Task list to keep track of any monthly / bi-monthly tasks. If i am just taking notes on a specific tank, I use small notebook, but rarely if ever refer back to them. Usually i use them for concept design or experimentation.
Do you mean a journal here on this site, or a personal log?

I like keeping a journal on here, even if I don't update it much. It's good for photos and major milestones. I don't keep a personal log. Upkeep is second nature at this point, but it is probably would have been useful when I entered the hobby.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.