The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically the title. I’m getting a new light and I have the choice between the 15 -24 inch 3.0 for 80 bucks or the 24-34 inch for 140. I’m just wondering if it’s worth the extra 60 bucks for the larger one.

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
Basically the title. I’m getting a new light and I have the choice between the 15 -24 inch 3.0 for 80 bucks or the 24-34 inch for 140. I’m just wondering if it’s worth the extra 60 bucks for the larger one.
Worth it is up to you and your usage.
Soo assuming you have a 24" wide tank the 24-34" should " fit" better and of course have more power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Worth it is up to you and your usage.
Soo assuming you have a 24" wide tank the 24-34" should " fit" better and of course have more power.
I’m mainly planning on having some low light plants (Java fern, anubias nana and petite, crypotocorne wenditii brown and Java moss) and Alternanthera Reineckii. i am planning later on to add a carpeting plant such as Monte Carlo and some co2 and some more stem plants. Is the difference in power worth the 60 extra dollars?

·
Registered
30 Posts
With the 15-24, the actual portion with LEDs will only be about 15" and the legs of the fixture will extend out to 24" to mount on the tank rim. This will leave about 9" of tank without light directly overhead which could limit plant growth in those sections. The 24-34" model will provide light over the full width of the 20H tank and therefore allow more versatility for growing plants anywhere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
SteveM is correct. I have both. The 15-24 you won't get great coverage on a 24" tank and since you are going to be doing a carpet and use CO2 in the future just spend the extra money to not regret later. (you may end up spending more in the future) I have crypts too using the Fluval 3.0 Plant on a 24" tank. It has too much light so I actual use the app to dim it by half cause I am getting a lot algae in a low tech tank without CO2 use. Once the plants get established then I will go to full brightness. That is a great feature!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I strongly recommend you go with the more expensive model. The 20 high is not shallow (like a 20 long); and you will appreciate the extra light on the side..... I have 24-34 model on my 29's and wish they had a 30 inch model...

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
404 Posts
I have lately been using the Fluval Aquasky 2.0 as well. I have a 48" Fluval 3.0 and love it. You can use the same app for the Aquasky 2.0. They have a little different lighting scheme but it's also fully adjustable and it's a bit cheaper. I would get the largest size that fits the tank you're using still for either light.

PS I have been buying the Aquasky 2.0 online and in stores, I have 3 now. They don't seem to say 2.0 very obviously so just check out the box, make sure it's got the phone app. But I think there is only one type of Aquasky lighting fixture. Different sizes... just one model of Aquasky.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have lately been using the Fluval Aquasky 2.0 as well. I have a 48" Fluval 3.0 and love it. You can use the same app for the Aquasky 2.0. They have a little different lighting scheme but it's also fully adjustable and it's a bit cheaper. I would get the largest size that fits the tank you're using still for either light.

PS I have been buying the Aquasky 2.0 online and in stores, I have 3 now. They don't seem to say 2.0 very obviously so just check out the box, make sure it's got the phone app. But I think there is only one type of Aquasky lighting fixture. Different sizes... just one model of Aquasky.
I tried an aquasky once and i didn't care much for the colour. The 3.0 has additional led of different colours and i found the spectrum much more pleasing to the eyes. Now these lights are adjustable with regards to colours but i could never get the aquasky anywhere as pleasing as the fluval.... maybe i just didn't find the right setting but when i looked at the physical light i'm pretty sure it was matching some of the colours provided by the fluval.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
404 Posts
I tried an aquasky once and i didn't care much for the colour. The 3.0 has additional led of different colours and i found the spectrum much more pleasing to the eyes. Now these lights are adjustable with regards to colours but i could never get the aquasky anywhere as pleasing as the fluval.... maybe i just didn't find the right setting but when i looked at the physical light i'm pretty sure it was matching some of the colours provided by the fluval.
I'll agree on that I suppose. You can deffinitely get that softer coloration out of the 3.0. Could totally be preferential, but I kinda like the clear, brighter, generally on the bluer side of things. But I like the RGB for some tanks from the 2.0 cause you can get those reds and greens to pop better(3.0 has blue covered, lol). So depending on what's in the tank and what colors you want to pop I guess is where the deciding factor lays for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts