The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a fluval 204 and eheim 2213 running in my tank, but I still feel some more flow would be great. I could just replace my 204 with an eheim 2215, but I was wondering if I should just get one huge filter? Why an fx6? I have already just bought 2 ada stainless steel intakes that are 1/2 each, and since the fluval fx6 intake it 1", I was going to split the pipe to go from 1 inch to two 1/2 inch. (sounds bad at first, but I was thinking about it, and it doesn't seem bad since if one gets clogged without me noticing, it still has the other to filter from, unlike having a 1 inch intake that if it clogs, its clogged. also 1/2 + 1/2 equals 1 inch so it should be the same right?). Sounds good, but would it turn my tank into a blender? even if I fill it up with tons of media and some fine sponges that would slow down the flow? it's an idea, not set on doing this yet

·
Registered
58 Posts
Two 1/2" pipes won't give you the same volume of water through one 1" pipe. Remember it has to do with available area to flow. πr-squared. Two half inch pipes will give a total area of 0.125π vs. 0.25π for a one incher.

Flow is a bit of a personal preference I find too. I have a 17g with a 2217 and many people say it is on the higher end of what is necessary but I do find an occasional dead spot due to my hardscape layout. I got around putting in more flow (either through a different filter or a power head) by relocating my inlet and outlet pipes. I found a configuration with both pipes in the left rear corner to work well enough for my hard scape and planting layout.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If it is flow you need, why not add a powerhead instead of a monster filter. If a 2213 is not enough maybe you should modify the output with a different spraybar?

Sent with my Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.