The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to make a DIY led for my 2.5 gallon tanks, i was wondering if fans are necessary, since it will become really clunky. Would passive cooling be enough, if i don't encase the heat sink. This will be for around 3-5 watts of led. Will it be too warm?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts

A heatsink like these doesn't need a fan, but it can't be enclosed so air can't circulate around it. These are rated for about 10 watts of LEDs, but you can find them on Ebay for at least 25 watts of LED - they are just thicker.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

A heatsink like these doesn't need a fan, but it can't be enclosed so air can't circulate around it. These are rated for about 10 watts of LEDs, but you can find them on Ebay for at least 25 watts of LED - they are just thicker.
Where would you mount the LEDS? just in that center spot? If i get that i would probably mount about 5 1W LEDs. Do i mount them inbetween the grids?

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
Where would you mount the LEDS? just in that center spot? If i get that i would probably mount about 5 1W LEDs. Do i mount them inbetween the grids?
Better photo showing 10W multichip LED

5/ $21

WOW 100W heat sink....... ;)

$30.......... You can get a 50W (just thinner) for $18

·
Registered
21,012 Posts

That's how I mounted a high wattage LED and two low wattage ones. You need to leave some of the fins exposed so air can flow up through the fins, but it works fine with this big a plate mounted on it. Why not just use a 10 or 25 watt LED on it?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh it wont be too focused? cause a 2.5 gallon tank is rectangular. i wasn't sure if the sides would get enough light.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts