The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve got an option to purchase a dosing pump from my LFS for half the RRP, I can get it for £40 and retails at £90-110.

The reason is it was returned after being set up once which I do believe as they’re quite a reputable shop locally, comes with fresh tubing etc so not worried about that.

Question is it actually worth it for me?

I only have a 30L Nano, I currently dose once a week but I want to move onto 2hrAquarist ferts which recommend 3ml per day.

If I do I’d likely go for 1ml every 8 hours just to give it that extra stability, I’ve always struggled with light algae which I put down to my own negligence to be honest.

I plan on going to a larger 70L tank in the near future which will use all the same equipment as my 30L so I see it as an investment.

The dosing pump is only a single pump & is the TMC EasiDoser 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
At that price I think it's worth it.

I use mine on some of my tanks, and not on others, but it's super nice to always have the option to use it or not.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At that price I think it's worth it.

I use mine on some of my tanks, and not on others, but it's super nice to always have the option to use it or not.
I agree, if it was full price I wouldn’t bother.

I’ve just double checked the fert I wish to go to is 3ml per 100L so I’ll only need 1ml per day so this may make it easier for me

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have dosing pumps on both my tanks. OP you need more than one pump head though, one ea for macro and micro ferts.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
506 Posts
Dosing pumps allow everything to happen at the same time every day. Consistent dosing will give the best results. I have 18 dosing heads for my aquariums.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Dosing pumps allow everything to happen at the same time every day. Consistent dosing will give the best results. I have 18 dosing heads for my aquariums.
18?! A function of many tanks or are you dosing some ferts individually? Which pumps do you use?, I have a Neptune DOS, which I think is the ultimate.

·
Registered
464 Posts
When I moved from a 60P/25g to a 120P/75g I decided to try auto-dosing. I use premixed ferts with a 3 head doser. I dilute the ferts with RO water so that I can dose 100ml. This also gives me a little auto top-off. I got a 5l reservoir so that I can go a while without a refill. My doser adds the mixture in the morning before lights go on.

This is working really well. I am now convinced that the key to good plant growth and low algae growth is having a metered daily dose of the ferts. My tank is MUCH more stable with less algae than my previous tank.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have dosing pumps on both my tanks. OP you need more than one pump head though, one ea for macro and micro ferts.

I bought the dosing pump today, the fertiliser I’m moving onto has all macro & micro ferts needed, I’ve gone for “the aquascaper complete liquid plant food” which I saw recommended on a George Farmer podcast, will be going for 2ml per day & see what happens whether I need to increase or decrease.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts