The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a Whisper 5-15 gallon HOB filter (suction tube blocked with a sponge to prevent any babies being sucked in of course) be adequate for a 20 High tank with only cherry shrimp? The tank in question is going to be a riparium with syngonium, pothos, philodendron, peace lily, purple waffle and maybe some other things. I initially wanted to keep fish in it but I've decided to make it a cherry breeding tank. I know shrimp have minimal bioloads so would an undersized filter be adequate for a tank of shrimp?

·
Registered
278 Posts
With a reparium the question is how much water you intend to have and if it will be circulating well. If you've only got 10 gallons of water in the tank then you should be ok.

Personally I always over-filter. My 40 gallon CRS tank has dual aquaclear 50 HOB filters, so 100 gallons worth of filtration. But cherries are less sensitive.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank is going to be entirely filled to just below the rim, so still holding 20 gallons. The plants are being planted in a homemade planter made from a "flower flat" basket, like you get when you buy a bunch of those little 4 packs of flowers for outside in the spring, attached to two bamboo stakes so it rests right on top of the tank, with the plants put through little slots in the basket. But with only shrimps and heavy plant filtration, is this small filter adequate? I'll be starting with only 5 shrimp (the whole project was spur-of-the-moment because the betta the shrimps lived with suddenly started attacking them (killing 5 in one night) and so I found a twenty gallon tank with this filter for 10 bucks at a flea market and decided to use it for them. Currently, the remaining shrimp are in a breeder net in his tank.)

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Well if the plants roots are going to be in the tank and fed from the tank water, then filtration is really only needed for flow as you want the ammonia to feed the plants and not get eaten in the filter bacteria.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.