The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to use a ecoxotic panaorama 48" led on my new 90 gallon set up

They are dimable but as full light they are 12k and there is also a blue channel, which I will just use for looks and give the fish some color

Will that be enough for a low tech planted tank( just dry ferts) ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is a marine fixture but I was going to get it because they guy is selling it so cheap and the dimmer would allow it to be turned down

Bump: Here are the par ratings

It will be over a 90 gallon tank

http://www.ecoxotic.com/community/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/PanoramaMarine_Sizing.jpg

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
50W for both channels.. 30W for just white approx...
Barring any other concrete data, won't be too much light either way..

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned with too much or too little with that fixture so much as the spectrum. There is a reason that light is marketed for use in marine applications. Reef tanks and corals like/need/thrive/require that 10K + spectrum where as plants like/need/thrive/require the lower spectrum around 6.5K. I know a good bargain is hard to pass up; but you'll likely be happier (and have spent less in the long run) if you keep searching for something more suited for a planted tank.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think you should be able to grow plants in a low tech setup with that fixture as long as you don't chose any too demanding plants. I also think you quickly will grow tired of the cold light a 12K fixture will give you. If you dim down the blues you will lose much of the penetration to the bottom and most likely get really low PAR at the bottom of your tank.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I am back to this , I have these leds that I can use( I decided not to do s/w)

I also have a 6 bulb t-5 fixture I can use.

The thing is I am doing just basic plants, Java ferns Amazon swords Vail Etc

I want the fish to really show off

So With that being said, should I use the leds, the T-5's or sell them and get something like the finnex 24/7?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Well I am back to this , I have these leds that I can use( I decided not to do s/w)

I also have a 6 bulb t-5 fixture I can use.

The thing is I am doing just basic plants, Java ferns Amazon swords Vail Etc

I want the fish to really show off

So With that being said, should I use the leds, the T-5's or sell them and get something like the finnex 24/7?
If your tank is taller (18"+) the finnex would be great or you could just use the t5 fixture and remove some of the bulbs

·
Registered
87 Posts
RichE,

For the plants you've listed above, this light will be adequate--PPFD of 20-40 is fine for Anubias, ferns, and if the Val and swords are taller they should do okay too. So the real question will be how you like the color rendition as it will be quite cool. If you're not wild about it, go with something else so you can fully enjoy watching your tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.