The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find 3M black Colorquartz or Spectraquartz anywhere, is it still available?

(Except perhaps in Mexico, if I read that correctly from the 3M international website, and despite any knowledge of Spanish).

If not then I may end up using Black Beauty, but would have preferred the 3M if it is still available.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that link! So the 3M stuff doesn't seem to be available, but Estes PermaColor Quartz seems to be exactly the same thing so I'm fine with going for that. In trying to google the 3M stuff several times I can't believe I never saw any mention of the Estes stuff before. But problem solved now!

That seems preferable to me in any case to the Black Beauty/Black Diamond sand which is actually iron slag, and doesn't sound 100% inert. -
By-product formed in smelting, welding, and other metallurgical and combustion processes from impurities in the metals or ores being treated. Slag consists mostly of mixed oxides of elements such as silicon, sulfur, phosphorus, and aluminum; ash; and products formed in their reactions with furnace linings and fluxing substances such as limestone. During smelting or refining, slag floats on the surface of the molten metal, protecting it from oxidation (see oxidation-reduction) by the atmosphere and keeping it clean. Slag cools into a coarse aggregate used in certain concretes; it is used as a road-building material, as ballast, and as a source of available phosphate fertilizer.

·
Registered
332 Posts
http://ntruddockcompany.thomasnet.com/viewitems/specialty-construction/spectraquartz?&bc=100|1003

I got it from here a year or so ago. It used to show two different grades, but i dont see them now. I believe this is the same stuff, just different name.
Do you happen to know what size you got and what know size it corresponded to? Meaning the two common types used in aquariums, the T and S grades? I believe S was smaller and smoother. Wondering which there medium would correlate to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.