The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally don't really believe in the idea of WPG because it doesn't really apply for every tank. I have 36 watts of compact flourescent. I heard that that was enough. I was reading today on another website which said you would need at least 71 watts. (http://www.rexgrigg.com/mlt.html) Now I am afraid O_O Do I really have enough?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
You didn't read that correctly. 71 watts was just an example of what would be the equivalent of 220 watts over a 55gal tank.

IMO you've already got more than enough light, and will probably need pressurized CO2 (as opposed to DIY) to keep up consistent CO2 levels with the amount of light you're pumping in there.

Personally, I'm thrilled with 15 watts over my own 10gal.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
If you decide to buy a light unit check out Big Als. There I saw a unit similar to my Diy that cost less. Also have read that some get a nice desk lamp, which uses fluorescent lights and have it sit over. Saw 1 lady whom used clip on lights over her tank.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I have a 36 watt AH Supply light over a 15H tank, same footprint, but higher tank. I have the light about 4 inches above the top of the tank, and I am pretty sure I have more than low light. So, yes, that is plenty of light, to say the least.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad to find this topic, I had almost the same question, just slightly different parameters. For a year I just haven't had the time to maintain a planted tank, but I'd like to resurrect one.

Tank Condition:
10g
Rapids Mini Canister Filter
Eco-Complete Substrate (1.5-2 inches)
Planning to use:
DIY CO2 /w glass diffuser (1-2 2L bottles for CO2)
Dry ferts (CSM+B I guess, still reading up on this)

Question: What is my limiting factor?
I'm preparing to buy an AH Supply 1x36W kit for a DIY canopy on the 10g tank. If I use DIY CO2, not pressurized, with dry ferts is 36W going to be too much light and cause algae? Will CO2 be my limiting factor, or should I plan on getting a 2x36W kit and put one 36W and one 18W-24W bulb?
I'm just cheap and don't want to invest in a pressurized CO2 system. So if I stay DIY will I ever need more than 36W for 10g?

Thanks.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
From what I see with my 15H tank, 36 watts is all of the light you are likely to need to grow anything in a 10 gallon tank. Today my tank had some blue green algae on the substrate, and that algae shows up with high light and low nitrates. My tank is a riparium, with little fertilizing, and much shading of the water by the above water plants. Still I got blue green algae. (I just buried it in the substrate.)

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I have 26 watts right now. I have played with a bunch as I have screw in lights, up to 50. Honestly 26 grows alot of plants I never thought I could grow. I think small tanks in general just can get by without as much light.

I only have had 2 tanks, my 29 is realitively high light, ei dosing, pressurised co2. I see big changes with more light. I just don't see the same on my 10 but I do find algae takes hold much more quickly. I don't know how much is the light and how much of it is the actual volume of the tank but I lowered my light and have been totally happy with it which is the opposite of my 29 gallon. I get similar growth and appearance with less issues in my 10 at 26 watts vs 50.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts