The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still cycling it right now, but I'm extremely worried that it's going to be too small. The absolute last thing I want to do is abuse some poor little shrimps. And I really hope I don't get hate for this, I have anixety and just have been freaking out pretty badly for like 3 hours. This is my first aquarium ever and my dad bought the tank for me. Any and all advice is appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I think they will be fine ♥

They will appreciate some moss and natural plants, as well as a somewhat matured tank with stable parameters and some developed algae and biofilm...

What kind are you getting?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they will be fine ♥

They will appreciate some moss and natural plants, as well as a somewhat matured tank with stable parameters and some developed algae and biofilm...

What kind are you getting?
Thank you so much for replying!!! I posted on two seperate subreddits because I've literally been having some sort of anxiety attack over this. I'm glad i found this site!
But I've ordered about 6 different plants (I
can give the names if needed) and I'm planning on getting some cholla wood for a little hideout (aside from any?? shade or what have you the plants will provide).
I wanted to get Green Jade shrimp, but if I should get a different kind, lmk!

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I feel you on the anxiety attack, I’ve had lots over my tank in the early days (which are not that long gone lol, my tank is only 4 months old haha. But what a difference 4 months makes!)

Shrimp have very small bioload (they eat natural tank detritus, and don’t poop very caloric poops hahah - I specify this because mine are literally pooping non stop but their poop doesn’t foul up the water much) so you can keep more of them in a given water volume than any sort of fish...

Green jades are my personal fave!!!! Sadly I ended up with yellows because technically it’s my kid’s tank and he picked. But one day I will have greens. Anyway any color of neocaridina (familiarly known as cherry shrimp) is a reasonably good pick... if you search ‘cherry shrimp’ or ‘neocaridina’ on the forum you’re gonna get enough info to finish Shrimp College with honors by the time you get your shrimp 😊

They will enjoy literally any plants or rocks as long as some algae and biofilm gathers on them (it will) and they will love hiding in the cholla wood. Mine really really enjoy my Christmas moss and my pellia bush. But they’re not fussy.

Most important thing for them is a steady tank, they will adjust to almost any parameters (within reason lol) as long as they don’t swing around too much.

·
Administrator
17,847 Posts
This is my first aquarium ever and my dad bought the tank for me. Any and all advice is appreciated, thank you!
Why don't you post some photos of your tank? That way others can help you come up with ideas or suggestions to make this easier for you.

Just keep in mind that the more plants and the more surface area for shrimp, the better.

How are you cycling the tank?

3 gallons can hold an absolute ton of shrimp if set up properly.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
For perspective, and many can disagree with this, OP, I've housed >50 shrimp in a 2-3 gallon before rehousing them, so they should absolutely be fine. One thing to note is the parameters, the smaller the tank, the faster parameters change, and SHRIMPS HATE CHANGE in parameters, be careful of that. Luckily for me, my 2-3 bowl was only for 4-5 months, and was close to the window where they do get a shift in temperature but for the most part was stable. In my experience, shrimps do better in cooler temps than warmer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm still cycling it right now, but I'm extremely worried that it's going to be too small. The absolute last thing I want to do is abuse some poor little shrimps. And I really hope I don't get hate for this, I have anixety and just have been freaking out pretty badly for like 3 hours. This is my first aquarium ever and my dad bought the tank for me. Any and all advice is appreciated, thank you!
5 shrimp should be perfect for a 3 gallon, just make sure there is some algae growing before you put them in, and you could make them happier by getting some live plants

·
Registered
33 Posts
The size isn't a problem in term of bioload.I'm keeping about 10 of them in a 3 gal tank and with less feeding they won't produce that much waste. Your biggest concern would be water stability and lack of experience.
Stability won't be a problem unless your tape water is unstable which I think should be rare or do something that deviates your tank water parameters from your tape, like pouring the water that the shrimps comes with in the tank or using substrate and decoration that effect your water parameters.
The lack of experience is of course expected for anyone starting in the hobby but you can gain it in either the hard way or the easy way. The hard way is killing lots of shrimps before learning how to properly take care of them and the easy way is to just discuss your problems here. I learned in a really hard way and killed many shrimps by trying to use "brilliant" ideas which I came up with only to see them fail miserably .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts