The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cheapo 10gallon tank with the hood that has two screw-in light slots. Right now I have 2x 26watt 6700k daylight compact flourescent from Walmart in there. I had to take the reflectors off because the bulbs wouldn't fit in there. Is this too much light? I keep lights on 8 hrs a day. It sounds like a lot to me but I don't know if CF aren't as strong as the usual strip bulbs. I have a 15watt CF that I could put in one side of the hood if ya'll think my current setup has too much light.

The tank is planted with HC, riccia, HM, dwarf hairgrass, and Lilaeopsis brasiliensis. I also have DIY co2. Algae isn't too much of a problem yet. I have noticed some string algae on the hairgrass but thats in the corner opposite the filter so it doesn't get much flow.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I found that the biggest problem with the Perfecto hood I had on a 10 gallon tank was the tiny glass window that all of the light had to go through to get to the water. That little window greatly limits the amount of light the plants see. If you toss the hood, and use a separate light fixture above the tank, you get several times as much light to the plants. Then, you can get as much light as the plants can use, using screw-in power saver fluorescent bulbs. See http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/85667-par-data-spiral-power-saver-bulbs.html

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hmm, well, if its too much light, I'll soon find out, as I'm using the same amount over my 10g currently. One thing that concerns me about your setup though is stuffing these bulbs in that hood. With no room to breathe between the bulb and the plastic, and hardly any ventilation, I'd be worried your hood will start to melt sooner or later...

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha yea it did melt right away. I cut the plastic away from above the bulbs and screwed the metal reflectors over the top. It seems to be good now, at least for the 1st month.

SvenBoogie, how long has your tank been set up. Any algae issues?

·
Registered
429 Posts
SvenBoogie, how long has your tank been set up. Any algae issues?
Its been set up for a while, but not really functionally until just recently. I finally got the plants in some kind of arrangement resembling what I wanted to do yesterday, so its sort of just getting started now. I'm having some issues with green hair algae, I'm hoping that will be reduced once the plants have settled in and start growing out and using up more nutrients. Dosing ferts via EI currently with 2 x 2 liters DIY co2 with a diy hagen elite reactor.

·
Registered
347 Posts
As long as you keep up with ferts and co2, then I think you'll be fine. Although, if any algae starts taking over, you might wanna rethink the length of your photoperiod. You could always add floaters to shade the bottom if you think it's too much light, I guess.

Good luck!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'll add this update, I have 2 x 26w CFs over my 10, as I mentioned, and this weekend the co2 diffuser/reactor didn't start up along with the lights for some reason...

Result = Tank FULL of green hair algae.

That said, I don't think 2 x 26w is too much light, but keep in mind with this much light you don't have a lot of room for error when it comes to ferts and co2 (as others have said) before you'll quickly have issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had it without co2 for a long time and the hair algae would definitely grow here and there, but I don't think it was much more than normal. I see the hair algae pearling as well, so it seems like it would be boosted with everything else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts