The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IS 0.6 considered low light or is this way to low to even be categorize?

STATS
50 gallon -approx 18 inches from substrate
LIGHTS-2-SINGLE STRIP-standard hood -next to each other
18" T8-15W 8000K BULBS

Lately i have had people suggest T5 BULBS
But i am looking to stay low light/tech NO CO2

and I only have about 10 inch clearance from top of tank to bottom of bar(see avatar)

·
Registered
50 Posts
36" length * 18" depth * 18" height

- Aqueon Twin Tube (Nice reflector for a T8 fixture) http://ebayc.us/10911573

- Coralife/Aqueon Dual T5 (T5NO) - I just bought one of these. Good light. Nice slim design. IMHO the reflector is too small though. It'll still work well.

- Aqueon Triple Tube (What I have on my 55, but I dont think they make it in 36" anymore) Still some stock left at Amazon.

- Shop light. Go to Home Depot and pick up 36" T8 light fixture. 2 to 4 bulbs would be about right. Cheap!

T8s and T5NO put out about the same light. The difference will be the quality of the reflector. T8 bulbs are cheap and easy to find, but they are bulky. T5NO bulbs are more expensive and harder to find, but are low prolife.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh you have a 55 gallon. I use the Aqueon Triple Tube on mine. The info above still applies though. All of those fixtures are available in 4 foot.

Since your light fixture will be covered the shop light is a very attractive option. You can buy 4ft dual T8 fixtures for around $15 each at home depot. Then pick up some 6700k bulbs and you're set.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.