The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm having some iron deficiency. And i think it's due to the chelator--I'm dosing the 'correct' amount of micros. I'm using Plantex CSM+B chelated with EDTA right now. My tank is 7.7 degassed and 6.6 during CO2. So I think all my iron goes away due to the high pH. My poor staurogyne has chlorosis, yet i have 20ppm nitrates. I've added extra Mg for a few weeks, which helped a lot actually, but now the chlorosis on new staurogyne leaves has only been getting worse. The AR Mini is vibrant deep red, though...

GLA sells a micro mix that is chelated with DPTA + EDTA, I could buy that, and start using that, or, i could buy plain FeDPTA and add that to my existing CSM+B mix. What's the best option?

I think this staurogyne has yellowing new growth with dark green veins: if it's not CO2, nitrates, or Mg, that implies that it's iron, right? All the staurogyne in my tank is looking like this and that's why I'm thinking there's an iron problem. Anyways, I do think it is Iron, I want to try DPTA chelated iron.. If things don't improve, I can rule iron out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fe-EDTA does have issues with high pH.

I've used EDDHA, which is great but even the smallest amounts really color the water quite strongly. Fe-DPTA should help with the higher pH.

Anyway- my experience (with non-aquatic plants, anyway) is that with chlorosis, 90% of the time it's iron, 9% of the time it's manganese, 0.9% of the time it's zinc, and 0.1% of the time it's another element.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Your only complaint seems to be the S. Repens, indicating that overall health of other plants is fine …right? If it is a fert issue, it would be good to know your current NO3, PO4, GH, KH, Ca, Mg, pH and TDS readings and which test kits/devices are used for each. Nutrient interactions can also cause problems.

In general, though, go ahead and flush out the simpler probabilities, such as the iron issue. If you think you are pH limited, which is possible, try some gluconated iron, such as Seachem’s Iron. Doing so eliminates any pH issue regarding iron. Many members combine DPTA with gluc. I use gluc only, but mainly because I have a UVS.

My recollection is that S. Repens prefers soil with good circulation as opposed to sandy soil. It should, however, be a fairly hardy plant.

Reactions: Savetheplants
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.