The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
I live right in the charleston area. I sure hope it does not hit here. I just have finally about gotten my tank to where I want it. I would hate for this to hit us lose power and have to start all over agin. Can you say lots of money flushed in the blink of an eye.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
IMO Irene is still too far away to have any clue where in the US it may make landfall, if at all.

Good to have plans and supplies in place, but no definite plans just yet.

Problem for us way down in SW FL is that there's really no place for us to GO and be sure we'd be out of it- barring unrealistic/super expensive long distance travel. :/

Cat 3s can do some nasty damage though. Charley was a 3 when it wiped through Port Charlotte a few years back.

We have a generator due to how often and long we had to go without electric during that insane hurricane season.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
For those who may not have had as much personal experience with hurricanes (I've lived in Florida for over 30 years), I want to emphasize- do NOT rely on those computer predictions. Hurricanes are like spinning tops, it's extremely difficult to accurately predict what direction they will take. It's very common for them to turn, strengthen, weaken, even turn around and head entirely in the opposite direction right at the last second.

Charley was predicted to make landfall several hundred miles north and only be a cat 2. Instead it strenthened to a cat 3 and turned to slam into port charlotte with less than a half an hour's notice.

Wilma was only a cat 2 and not predicted to do much at all. She strengthened AFTER she made landfall (I think it was the warm water in the Everglades) and devastaed central Florida and exited Florida on the OTHER coast stronger than when she made landfall on the opposite side of the state. Her eye went directly over our house with no more than strong winds, rain, and hail. We were only without power for about 4 or 5 hours, I think. My inlaws over on the other coast ended up without power for two weeks, and millions and millions of dollars of damage in the area.

IMO everyone needs to prepare for the worst, though of course always hope for the best.

·
Registered
700 Posts
The last really bad hurricane that hit us was Ivan. Trees were uprooted, there were fallen trees and branches blocking the road, and mailboxes were ripped out of the ground and in other peoples' yards. I hope Irene, if it has ANY chance of hitting us, does not to nearly as much damage.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've just been praying TX gets some damn rain!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
If this thing sets up like Floyd did for us in the Northeast (Philadelphia) it's gonna be a problem. Im not looking forward to this storm at all. I really hope it pushes off shore and we just get a little rain. Even a Cat1 storm here is a major problem...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts