The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have sprint for a our business telephones that my husband & I have. I think 5 lines. Sprint does not have the iphone. My friend that is without question a teck person switches Sim cards all the time for his phones. American living in Jakarta but travels all over. This why all the Sim cards. OK my phone does not have a removable Sim card. We do not have a data package, we just talk.
My friend said to buy a factory unlocked iphone and replace one of the sprint phones with one that has a Sim card add data and I should be good to go????
Any experience with sprint users?? Can I do this??

TY Karen

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
search the web, there have been cases where people use the iphone with other carriers beside AT&T.

Obviously, you won't get any support if anything goes wrong and a factory iphone is very expensive.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My friend in Jakarta has 2 iphones and with the different countries that he is in will switch out Sim's for a local carrier, it's much cheaper. He does this all the time when he is back in the US. He does not use AT&T for his US provider. His iphone works normal over here. I think he us uses verizon for us??

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand, what he does is use another providers Sim card in his iphones without having to go through AT&T. He has been doing this all over the world for quite some time. Did it with other phones before these were iphones.

US is so totally behind in the mobile phone and data services. The speeds that are standard in other countries are not even available here!!! This practice about proprietorship with cell phones is crazy. My best friend an attorney & CPA was saying the other day that there is a case that will be going before the US Supreme Court where as AT&T & Apple (iphone) relationship is being challenged. So hopefully this will open the door for changes regarding consumers being able to buy what phone they want to use and use it with any provider.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
iphone requires a working sim card. You can 'jailbrake' (hack) your iphone to be able to use other carriers such as Verizon who uses sim cards as well (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not familiar with Sprint phones at all... do they even use sim cards?

People sell unlocked iphones on ebay all over the place.

*Edit* just look up "iphone jailbrake" on youtube :) And you can also download any paid app for free. I love my iphone! Of course... it's play at your own risk. ;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was looking over the weekend at them on ebay. What my friend said about buying a cracked or jailbrake phone is not updateable. He stongly advised agains a jailbrake. A factory unlock is updateable. Security issues.
None of the sprint phones we have use sim cards.....
That friends is all the knowledge that I process on the subject......which we know is not a lot. LOL

·
Registered
291 Posts
Using an iphone on any other service other than at&t requires a company that uses sim cards to provide telephone service. Verizon wireless, tmobile and cingular are the only three im familiar with that use such method. Unlocking and jailbreaking an iphone is quite easy actually. You will need an unlimited data plan if you would like to surf the net and and recieve email otherwise your bill could be costly. Same goes for the text messaging. Sprint unfortunately is incapable of having an iphone used with its service. If you really would like an iphone but without the hassle of switching carriers, you can buy a tmobile2go cell phone that is prepaid and you can use the simcard from that. Granted you have to put the money towards the talk time. It can be good if all you want to use the phone for is talk. You can use a wifi connection from work or home to browse and surf the net for free as well as download applications and such. Hope this helps.

EDIT: A jailbroken/unlocked(which are two different things) iphone is update-able all the way up to OS 3.0. Each time an update comes out there are guys and gals ;) out there who work their hardest to unlock that update for our jailbroken/unlocked phones. Currently theres an update i believe is OS 3.0.1 which updates the baseband(best i can differentiate this is baseband is the firmware, not software) and it makes your iphone no longer unlockable(there are ways but its tedious and not for the average joe). So in any case if you should decide to get an iphone, unlock all the way to 3.0 o_O Confusing indeed but still is simple. Any questions feel free to ask.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
I was looking over the weekend at them on ebay. What my friend said about buying a cracked or jailbrake phone is not updateable. He stongly advised agains a jailbrake. A factory unlock is updateable. Security issues.
None of the sprint phones we have use sim cards.....
That friends is all the knowledge that I process on the subject......which we know is not a lot. LOL
Jailbrake (such as 'Redsn0w') providers also have updates that follow shortly after Apple comes out with new firmware updates. I have a AT&T iphone so I'm unaware of how unlocked iphones operate. That being said, I can update my phone anytime. I just chose not to update until I really have to, otherwise I loose all my hacked applications :icon_sad:. If at anytime I wanted to go back to stock, just load the current firmware and viola. Just like reformatting a PC.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank You!!!!!!
Great idea. I'm going to look into seeing what other service I could get with data cheap!!!! Will keep our existing service. Try to get a reasonably priced iphone. I really want that iphone....

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thank You!!!!!!
Great idea. I'm going to look into seeing what other service I could get with data cheap!!!! Will keep our existing service. Try to get a reasonably priced iphone. I really want that iphone....
It is indeed a great phone. Its very modern and sleek yet practical and simple that ANYONE can use that phone.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
It is indeed a great phone. Its very modern and sleek yet practical and simple that ANYONE can use that phone.
You forgot to mention it's pretty much a mini computer that is with you anywhere you go 24/7/365. Very powerful little tool that enables you to stay connected in this day and age.

Cocobid,

I'm sure you're probably aware already but, there's a plethora of applications that are readily available from kids educational apps to GPS apps such as TOM TOM. You won't be able to get your hands off of it for a while. Trust me. :hihi:

Hope you get one soon.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You forgot to mention it's pretty much a mini computer that is with you anywhere you go 24/7/365. Very powerful little tool that enables you to stay connected in this day and age.

Cocobid,

I'm sure you're probably aware already but, there's a plethora of applications that are readily available from kids educational apps to GPS apps such as TOM TOM. You won't be able to get your hands off of it for a while. Trust me. :hihi:

Hope you get one soon.
Oh belive me. Ive been an iphone user for months and I cant put the phone down. Im currently using an iphone 3g on the tmobile network. Love this phone. The icarpenter app has been way too abused on my phone lol.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My friend that is the Law & CPA I help him with stuff all the time.....
With our business we own oh 25 computers+/- and have become a geek by default.
I use his 3g iphone all the time. Send & receiving docks. Our son just got one in NY spent several hours with him teaching him how to use some basic functions, he loves it.
The real problem here is that using my friends......and then back to my model T.....
Unlike someone that has never used one and gets one, I have to go back to my sprint. We might be better off in the future going to all att ,we bundle some items here at the house already.

The apps....................

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 18 of 18 Posts