The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi was wondering if anyone had an ionized water filter? You can change the ph to you liking but was wondering if the ph would shift or would it be stable?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It is never easy to respond to a question like this. So, I will just say, no, I have never had an "ionized water filter", nor has anyone else, to my knowledge. Water is H2O, and it doesn't exist as "ionized water". If you add a salt to the water, the water contains ions, but pure water is not ionized. You can't adjust the pH of water with an "ionized water filter". http://www.chem1.com/CQ/ionbunk.html

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Hi was wondering if anyone had an ionized water filter? You can change the ph to you liking but was wondering if the ph would shift or would it be stable?
+1,

Whoever mentioned "ionzied water" to you, run from them.......... fast!

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i found the filter in my kitchen. Apparently my parents had bought it a long time ago. I set the filter to 6.8 and then I tested the water that came out. It was 6.8 but I've heard that the water isn't safe for aquarium use. Can anyone verify this?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
are you sure the PH out of the tap is not 6.8?
By all means use it if you like... The device is harmless, fake and harmless.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
definitely not because the water comes out at 7.4. Well thanks for your response but I just wanted to know if it was safe for fish use. Don't really care about the filter use for humans.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It could be a cation exchange resin...that would explain the drop in pH, especially if it was exchanging the magnesium and calcium cations for protons.
uhh sorry I never really excelled at chemisty lol. Just wondering if it would work for my shrimp tank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts