The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been working on these racks for quite sometime with help of Nikolay, Nathan and others. I have decided its time to share it with others. I will go through materials as much as I can and why I did it this way and not some other way. Hope to see questions, comments, etc.

So I got interested in shrimp at the beginning, then the snails came and then the crayfish. So I decided to turn my house study into an invert room.

To have a taste of it, I bought a 75G tank and two 10g tanks to try it out.
The three of these tanks are part of the setup. The 75G tank might be taken down soon, but not sure. First shrimp were cherries, then tigers, and CRS. From the crays I have had the orange dwarf ones and the orange-brown.

The idea of the rack came on a couple of converstaions with Nikolay and Nathan. Until I decided to go ahead with the idea.

Cheers,
Pedro

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The rack

The next step was to find some tanks that will fit in the dimensions of the shelves. This was really hard. I wanted to have multiple tanks per shelf and I wanted them to be as deep as the shelve and not too high. This way I would have more area in the tank which is what I wanted.

I found someone to do the tanks for me. Since the tanks were custom made I went with rimless tanks. They measure roughly 22"W X 18"D X 14"H. I ordered a total of 14 tanks.

Here is a picture of the tanks in the garage:

Close up of one of the tanks:

-Pedro

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Equipment & rack assembly

For equipment I went with sponge filters, 100W heaters, one dolphin pump for one of the racks, a couple of old pumps for the other, shop lights, natural gravel and some garnet gravel Nikolay gave me which is kind purplish in color.

The rack assembly was pretty easy. To put the tanks in the shelves we decided to go with a piece of insulation styrofoam cut to the size of the shelves like in the picture below:

I started putting the tanks in the shelves:

After putting tanks in one rack. I filled two of them to see if there was any bowing at all. I saw the shelve bowing and the tanks almost touching each other on the sides.

Nathan gave us the idea of using some plywood below the insulation material so it would not bow. We tried this and it still bow but a little less.

So Nikolay and I brainstorm through some ideas and he came with the idea of using a metal rod(pipe) to push the shelve up. So we drill a whole in the middle of all the plywoods and insulation boards. Then the pipe was cut to the desire size and trimed so it will fit.

This is how it looks from underneath:

This helped a lot and solved 99% of the bowing issues.

-Pedro

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Setting the tanks...more stuff

Here are some pictures of when I was setting up the tanks. You can see the type of sponge filters, heater and gravel that I used in most of the tanks.

This rack currently has 6 rimless tanks:

This one has 4 rimless tanks and the two 10G tanks:

There is some reflectiosn in the pictures, but they are the only ones that show them while setting them up.

-Pedro

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some shot of the tanks and the final racks

Here are some close up pictures of the tanks:

Here I am testing a computer fan for when the weather gets hot. It will lower the water temp in one tank 5F. It does evaporate water faster, but not that bad if you do weekly water changes.

The final Racks look like this:(will update them with better pictures later)

All in all, I have 12 tanks in the racks and the 75G tank beside them

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More information

All tanks have moss in them, different types of moss. All have gravel, most of them heaters and all of them have sponge filters. I do weekly water changes.
I keep snails in all tanks.

SOme problems I have encountered or might encounter:

1. humidity: With so much water evaporating I was having humidity problems in the room. I bought a dehumidifier and problem solved.

2. Water changes: You can imagine that doing water changes takes some time with so many tanks. I only change 20% of the water in each tank. I reconstitute my water from RO water to the desire level and ph by using seachem equilibrium and tap water. It is not very easy, but I have some inverts that need aicid water while others need hard water. To change the water I use a bucket, water pump for a fountain, a python hose. I usually divide the water changes in two days. One for the ones with acidi water and the other for the ones with hard water.

2. Noise: There is some noise out of the pumps and the dehumidifer. It is barely noticeable. I close the study at night. Make sure to buy an air pump that does not make lots of noise. I recommend the Dolphin and it can be found at Kens Fish Home of Quality Fish Food, And Supplies At Excellent Prices.

Where to buy the things:

1. shop lights,plywood,foam,pipe,etc: Home depot, Lowe's
2. filters, pumps, heaters: Kens Fish Home of Quality Fish Food, And Supplies At Excellent Prices.
3. racks: Costco or do a search online for chrome wire racks

During this I found out that a Dremmel is a very good tool to have.

I hope to see people comments and questions. I will also later update the thread or create a separate one with some of the inverts I have in there.

-Pedro

·
Registered
514 Posts
great write up, i'm planning to setting up the same thing in about a month or two. Do you think it'll work with smaller tanks instead, i'm thinking about 2.5g's and 5g's and maybe one or two 10g. How do you think the inverts would do in the smallers tanks?

if you don't mind also, may i ask, How much did you spend altogether? I was think it'll most likely run around 200 to setup and another 100-50 for the inverts and plants

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Thats a great rack you got there! Of course, this is my first time seeing an invert rack so I can't say anything, but your are living my dream! Someday... when I get a job...

As for the rack for guitardude, I don't recommend 2.5g's for a rack. It is hard to maintain water quality in a smaller tank, and lots of 2.5g's may be hard to maintain in terms of water quality. I've read that 5g's can be a nice size for shrimp, so maybe. And I don;t think 300-250$ is gonna pay for everything. Depends on what you want I guess.

·
Registered
234 Posts
sorry to disapoint you but 200 dollars for supplies is not to likely, unless you alreayd have tanks and filters and such? but i work at the lps and a 5 gal with run you around 10 dollars each , a 2.5 is roughly 8 bucks , a 10 is 12 bucks. air pumps are arnt 20 for a dual port ( which would do one rack with 2 tanks) decor is youre own thing. heaters on average ( for a good one) are around 30 dollars. and inverts can get costly, we sell electric blue ''lobsters'' for 16.99 and blue yabbies for 9.99. we get amano shrimp for 2.99 each and ON A VERY RARE OCCASION we do get cherry and tiger for 3.99 each.

hope this gives you some idea:biggrin:

jordan

·
Registered
514 Posts
there's people around here that once in a while sells these tank (used) for alot cheaper then that,3-5 each from 2.5gals and up to 10gals, from fish breeders or stores closings. I've seen a few of these sales go on before, so i'll just have to keep an eye out, while i'll save up for the build.

spondge filters can be made rather easy and cheap, i already have couple of air pumps that aren't in use. heaters, is maybe the only thing i'm concerned about, you're right those can run alot...

As for the selves, I work at home depot and we have these metal selves that can hold up to 4000lbs that runs for about 80 bucks. lighting, I'll still have to check those out. As for the inverts, i'm definetly getting them from people from this forum and other places, not the lps. All these are going in the basement, so show quality isn't a must either. I agree with you tough, it'll end up costing more in someway in the end, it always does.

Thanks for the Input,
Chuong

Those tanks are really well madeand great malalic, Those tanks make me want a rimless even more now.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Very nice setup! Quite the invert factory you got going there Milalic! You ordered 14 tanks...are you planning on setting up another rack of tanks?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Looks great....I have a similar setupfor shrimp and small fish. You can ussually fit 10g the narrow way on those shelves and squeze 3 of them on one shelve. A 20 long or 29 high also will fit nicely. I like the 10g though. You can then squeeze 9 to 12 tanks on a rack(I get the racks at HD). I ussually leave the bottom shelve for storage(so its only 9 tanks on the rack)... I hate having to bend over to work on the lowest tanks. also make sure you leave enough room between the shelves and the tanks to work on them.

Cheers, Whitepine

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
Pedro,

Who made the tanks for you? Do they not want more business?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
great write up, i'm planning to setting up the same thing in about a month or two. Do you think it'll work with smaller tanks instead, i'm thinking about 2.5g's and 5g's and maybe one or two 10g. How do you think the inverts would do in the smallers tanks?

if you don't mind also, may i ask, How much did you spend altogether? I was think it'll most likely run around 200 to setup and another 100-50 for the inverts and plants
Buying inverts for the racks is going to be more than $200.00 by itself.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
there's people around here that once in a while sells these tank (used) for alot cheaper then that,3-5 each from 2.5gals and up to 10gals, from fish breeders or stores closings. I've seen a few of these sales go on before, so i'll just have to keep an eye out, while i'll save up for the build.

spondge filters can be made rather easy and cheap, i already have couple of air pumps that aren't in use. heaters, is maybe the only thing i'm concerned about, you're right those can run alot...

As for the selves, I work at home depot and we have these metal selves that can hold up to 4000lbs that runs for about 80 bucks. lighting, I'll still have to check those out. As for the inverts, i'm definetly getting them from people from this forum and other places, not the lps. All these are going in the basement, so show quality isn't a must either. I agree with you tough, it'll end up costing more in someway in the end, it always does.

Thanks for the Input,
Chuong

Those tanks are really well madeand great malalic, Those tanks make me want a rimless even more now.
That is a good deal if they are shelved like these that I have and can hold up to 4000lbs. If they are the gorilla rack which have the wooden piece in the middle, you will have problems with bowing. You will need to figure out how to fix it.

-Pedro

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very nice setup! Quite the invert factory you got going there Milalic! You ordered 14 tanks...are you planning on setting up another rack of tanks?
Yes...I have four shelves remaining. So I am ordering some posts to do another rack.

-Pedro

1 - 20 of 142 Posts