The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My name is Daryl. I have been a member of this forum since June. I spend quite a bit of time reading and following threads but Until now I have not posted or commented on anything. I wanted to take the time to introduce myself and ask the many knowledgeable members for advice.
I started this hobby in January of this year with a 55 gallon tank. All equipment was gifted to me by a family member who was growing tired of the maintenance. It started as just your typical neon colored gravel tank with tacky decorations but it quickly became an obsession!
Plant Green Light Purple Lighting

Plant Water Purple Light Lighting

Fluid Gas Machine Engineering Electrical wiring

Plant Flower Purple Light Violet

as you can see it’s progressed a bit from where I started (also have 2 nano tanks going in spare room since all this started… mts is real!) in my 55 gal I’m using Fluval stratum capped with sand, various plants inside with two Hob filters on the back filled full with media and plants like lucky bamboo, pothos, dracaena marginata, and so on. A Marineland internal filter for main filtration. Everything is on voice controllable smart plugs with timers (mainly for co2 generator). My short term goal moving forward with this tank was to upgrade to a canister filter with a co2 reactor to get rid of the sprite water and improve filtration. Long term goal is to get a rimless tank and do something like You see on YouTube channels with driftwood out the top with Terrestrial plants etc… I am on a tight budget so typically I save a little here and there and find deals on used stuff if I can.

so like I said, I’m always watching for deals on used things and I stumbled across a post on “offerup” app titled free aquarium. It was over an hour drive from me and the woman didn’t know much about it but I took a risk and made the drive.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

When I got there I found that it was a Red Sea reefer 170 with stand. (24.5x20x20 34 gallon display with 9 gallon sump.) It looked to be in terrible shape but it’s free! so I loaded it up and brought it home. Started cleaning it up and realized this thing is in PERFECT condition!
Automotive tire Hood Wood Automotive design Bumper

Wood Flooring Floor Stairs Hardwood

Wood Flooring Floor Window Hardwood

So now my long term goal is sitting in my kitchen! Now here is where I need advice! I have no experience with a sump system but I’m doing my research. Is it still possible to use a co2 reactor with a sump to get rid of the bubbles in the tank? It is recommended on red sea’s website that I use a 530 gph return pump. Do I need that big of a pump since Im using it for a planted freshwater tank? I don’t want anything attached to the rim so I’ll hang lighting from the ceiling. Tank will be in living room. Any advice on a lighting that won’t blind us but is bright enough to grow plants at substrate level? Preferably with Bluetooth/Wi-Fi ramp up/down features. I’m like a kid on Christmas morning right now so I apologize for the lengthy post! Anyone with experience with one of these tanks please feel free to comment with any suggestions. Thanks In advance for the help!

· Registered
274 Posts
What a great find! Is your 55-gallon also in your living room? I've grabbed a couple of free tanks from neighbours, and it can be a lot of fun, especially with the nature of the unplanned challenge that a free tank provides. My latest 29-gallon is the first one I've purchased. I've selected a light that is programmable via an LCD control panel and can output a very wide range of options from dim to bright. I've yet to see how it works, but it looks like I've made the right choice at least in terms of ease of use. I have a lid on the tank and the light rests on top of that. It will mean a couple of steps to feed the fish inside.

· Premium Member
562 Posts
That is one heck of a find! I would be sure to leak test the whole system outside, just in case. Sumps are pretty simple once you understand the basics of how they work. Youtube is a great resource.
You can definatley still use a reactor on your sump. You could find a plethora of information using the search function. You would either want to build a cerges or griggs style reactor with a bypass valve, this will allow you to tune the flow through your reactor. I would also reccomend a dc return pump because you can adjust the flow electronically. I use the Jebao DCP pumps and have been happy with the quality for price.
Lighting can depend on what type of plants you want to grow, and light "spill" is what will blind you as you are looking at the tank. It is very apparent when you suspend the light above the tank, Its like you are looking directly into the light. I have made "shades" out of wood to eliminate this issue. Check out the fluval 3.0. It has quite a bit of adjustability via an app on your phone including ramp-up/down. Also check out the AI freshwater prime, they are bit pricey though.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@richard.hayward.melb you are absolutely right about the fun and challenge that comes from an unplanned free tank! i am spiraling down a whole new rabbit hole with this one! haha yes, my 55 gallon is in my living room currently but, my better half is asking that i only have one tank in our living area so its looking like this knew rimless tank will be taking its place. I have a spare room that is all mine so i have no issues with the compromise. the lighting i have on the 55 is pretty bright when sitting on the couch to watch tv so that is why i am putting alot of thought into the new lighting that i choose.

· Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
Waterbox Frag 105.4 High Tech
3,584 Posts
you should definitely inspect the silicone seams closely for any signs of separation (air bubbles etc) and leak test it for a while before committing to setup

you do not need 500+gph pump for a tank that small. it is not going to be a marine/reef setup. redsea is recommending that as it is a tank designed for reef hobbyists

I also like my jebao DCP pumps but be aware that even the smaller 2500 model is STRONG. even at 30% min I think it is still stronger than my ~500gph sicce syncra silent 2.0. adjustable DC pumps are the way to go though. start with something cheap like jebao or some other chinese brand IMO

I am currently using a CO2 reactor in my sump with good results. many people with larger tanks do this. I am biased towards a nice big griggs style reactor design. check out the journal link in my sig for details

· Premium Member
562 Posts
you do not need 500+gph pump for a tank that small. it is not going to be a marine/reef setup. redsea is recommending that as it is a tank designed for reef hobbyists
Yes. You will not need as much turnover as the manufacturer reccomends. You should shoot for 4-8 times the water volume for turn-over. Also, take into account head loss, plumbing and using a manifold for your co2 reactor. I bet a DCP-2500 will work quite well.

I look forward to seeing the journal for your build.

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts