The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
My name’s Lime and this is my introduction to the forums as well as my first aquarium. I’ve been lurking and researching for about a year on and off on what I want to do with my tank. There is so much information and I still feel like I barely know anything!

I’m going to be going low tech for ease and money. My tank is a 29gallon (30L”x12W x18H”). I plan on doing ~1 inch of miracle organic potting mix with ~1 inch of pool filter sand. I’ll be using an eheim 2215 canister and Finnex fugeray planted + light fixture.

I want this tank is be heavily planted with the following:
Water Sprite, Anbias nana, Java Fern, Dwarf sag, ludwigia, Jungle val, amazon swords, some type of moss, and Bacopa. This might seem like a lot so I might remove some when I finally plan on ordering. I’m pretty sure these are all low to moderate light requiring plants and so be on the easier side.

As far as stocking im looking at ~6-7 Cory cats (I thinking maybe peppered), 6-10 Harlequin Raspboras, and a large handful of red cherry shrimp. i think the tank is still understocked but that'll leave room to add more as i see fit.

All comments, concerns, and critiques are appreciated.
I’ve done my research as to properly cycle the tank and to handle the early pains of using dirt. I hope everything looks good to you guys. I’m really excited to get into this hobby!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You may have too much light to do without CO2. Extrapolating from various data for Finnex lights, I suspect you will have about 45 PAR light intensity. I suggest that you use Seachem Flourish Excel to supply some carbon for the plants. That should be enough to head off the algae attacks that come from not having enough available carbon for the plants with that much light. I would ignore the Seachem dosage recommendations, and dose it at 2 ml per 10 gallons, and dose every day. Don't do the Seachem 5 ml per 10 gallons "starting" dose, because that can harm some plants, especially vals.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You may have too much light to do without CO2. Extrapolating from various data for Finnex lights, I suspect you will have about 45 PAR light intensity. I suggest that you use Seachem Flourish Excel to supply some carbon for the plants. That should be enough to head off the algae attacks that come from not having enough available carbon for the plants with that much light. I would ignore the Seachem dosage recommendations, and dose it at 2 ml per 10 gallons, and dose every day. Don't do the Seachem 5 ml per 10 gallons "starting" dose, because that can harm some plants, especially vals.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking to avoid having the dose something daily. If i go with the Finnex Stringray and remove some of the higher light demanding plants like ludwidgia would that work? From what I've found the stringray will get me about ~35 PAR at my tank's dimensions. I just want to get things finalized before I start ordering equipment.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm big on LEDs with a dimmer on the fixture. That way you can always lower the light without raising the fixture. Of course, you would have to lower the fixture if you need more intense light from the fixture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.