·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Introducing The Planted Aquarium Podcast
http://www.theplantedaquariumpodcast.com/
You can provide feedback via this thread or private message and also via
[email protected]
The web page and podcast are absolutely in their infancy. The first podcast is available at the web page listed above to stream or download. The podcast should also be available for subscription via iTunes in the next day or so.
Please understand our only motivation is to serve the broad planted aquaria hobby community. Orlando from Green Leaf Aquariums (http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/) was kind enough to be our first guest and we are quite grateful. If you have suggestions or comments please let us know. You can suggest who we should interview next. Maybe we could interview you! It'd be great to have a wide range of folks on the show, from typical hobbyist to seasoned expert.
Cheers! David and Jennifer

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, this is great! What a fun surprise. I can't wait to listen.
I hope you enjoy. I discovered podcasts a few months ago. I realized I could listen to what I wanted during my commute by downloading mp3 files and putting them on my inexpensive mp3 player, also great while mowing the lawn. I soon found lots of podcasts relating to my other hobbies, but almost nothing for our hobby. PetFishTalk is pretty darn good, but there is not much about planted tanks offered. After lots of agonizing and realizing I'm no expert, it occurred to me that interviews could be the central feature of the podcast. If the feedback is positive I'll invest in another microphone, headphones, paying Skype, and extending the free trial of the Skype recording software. Please be kind with the feedback and if you have ideas for our next guest, or would like to volunteer, let me know! thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
Great idea! Keep up the good work! How about Tom Barr in the near future?!

·
Registered
683 Posts
That was great ;)
I really enjoyed listening to this interview.
This site is now bookmarked. How about announcing here when the next podcast is up?

Thanks for doing this! Great job!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ThePlantedAquariumPodcast

Thanks so much for the feedback. The first pod cast, although it might not seem so, reflects several hours of work! So it's great to get some positive feedback! I'll certainly post here with notification of the next episode. As a note, I've started to listen to several pod casts and I now use Google Reader that keeps me up to date with new episodes, also there's a widget at the bottom right of the podcast page (www.theplantedaquariumpodcast.com) where you can enter your email for new episode notifications. Thanks again! David

That was great ;)
I really enjoyed listening to this interview.
This site is now bookmarked. How about announcing here when the next podcast is up?

Thanks for doing this! Great job!

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's pretty painful to listen to Orlando through only the right channel. In the future, would you mind spreading it 50/50? For us headphone listeners anyways!

I love the idea though! Thank you!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's pretty painful to listen to Orlando through only the right channel. In the future, would you mind spreading it 50/50? For us headphone listeners anyways!

I love the idea though! Thank you!
Yup, not ideal. I'll have to figure out if my Skype recorder can do that. It's surprisingly difficult to record telephone conversations with your computer. The Skype recording software by default puts both parties in seperate channels. So, I'm left with two mono channels. The default free editing software is Audacity. So the question is, with Audacity, how to duplicate a track and then merge the duplicated tracks to stereo or command each mono track to play in each channel. I imagine I'll be able to figure it out. If there are any audio editing experts out there with Audacity experience, give me a holler. Anyone with bumper music or other suggestions, let me know. If you'd like to do a segment, let me know. Something like, "Hi I'm Dan the Planted Aquarium Podcast water chemestry expert. Today we're going to be talking about pH..." would be fun. I can think of lots of examples.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Figured it out. Yeah, sounds much more natural. I'll definitely do that for the next episode. Thanks!

Yup, not ideal. I'll have to figure out if my Skype recorder can do that. It's surprisingly difficult to record telephone conversations with your computer. The Skype recording software by default puts both parties in seperate channels. So, I'm left with two mono channels. The default free editing software is Audacity. So the question is, with Audacity, how to duplicate a track and then merge the duplicated tracks to stereo or command each mono track to play in each channel. I imagine I'll be able to figure it out. If there are any audio editing experts out there with Audacity experience, give me a holler. Anyone with bumper music or other suggestions, let me know. If you'd like to do a segment, let me know. Something like, "Hi I'm Dan the Planted Aquarium Podcast water chemestry expert. Today we're going to be talking about pH..." would be fun. I can think of lots of examples.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Cool! Nice initiative.

So the question is, with Audacity, how to duplicate a track and then merge the duplicated tracks to stereo or command each mono track to play in each channel. I imagine I'll be able to figure it out. If there are any audio editing experts out there with Audacity experience, give me a holler.
Every audio program like audacity has a way to convert mono>stereo (a telephone recording isn't true stereo; the two channels are identical). Here's how you do it in audacity.

A few tips: Watch for distortion, which is caused by clipping the levels.
Try to match the levels of the two sound sources (Orlando's track and yours).
Also, run both through the stereo through a compressor/limiter. This is standard procedure for radio...makes the levels a more uniform volume. This alternated between blaringly loud and almost inaudible.

How much is the Skype upgrade? There simply has to be a freeware way to digitally record a phone call.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
197 downloads since Monday

197 downloads since Monday. Woot!
I'll try to have another available by late Sunday (with more post production included for free).
David

Introducing The Planted Aquarium Podcast
http://www.theplantedaquariumpodcast.com/
You can provide feedback via this thread or private message and also via
[email protected]
The web page and podcast are absolutely in their infancy. The first podcast is available at the web page listed above to stream or download. The podcast should also be available for subscription via iTunes in the next day or so.
Please understand our only motivation is to serve the broad planted aquaria hobby community. Orlando from Green Leaf Aquariums (http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/) was kind enough to be our first guest and we are quite grateful. If you have suggestions or comments please let us know. You can suggest who we should interview next. Maybe we could interview you! It'd be great to have a wide range of folks on the show, from typical hobbyist to seasoned expert.
Cheers! David and Jennifer

1 - 20 of 63 Posts