The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking and reading here for weeks since I decided to try my hand at planting my aquarium. I've always had a bit of a black thumb in the garden so I'm happily surprised at how it's going so far. Glad I decided to make an account. Here is my 10 gallon, lightly planted as I'm just starting.

10 gallon
Seapora 15-35 sponge filter
3 adult male WCMM + one growing fry
6 Blue velvet tiger shrimp (3/3 m/f)
Hornwort
Dwarf grass (I think?)
Marimo moss ball

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Welcome :)

Just wanted to point some things out.
Your shrimp are either Blue velvets which are Neocaridina shrimp, or Blue Tigers (OEBT) which are Caridina shrimp. Just not both. Most likely they are Blue velvet shrimp. Tigers have stripes unless too dark to see.

WCMM and Neos and Tigers actually like cooler water, so even though you have a heater, having the temp between 69-72*F would be best for both the minnows and shrimp.

Do you know what kind of rock that is? Just wondering if it's inert or not, causing it to alter water parameters. Not sure if that is Cyanobacteria/Blue Green Algae (BGA) growing on the top of it or not. If it is, you might want to eradicate it before it gets out of control. Might be my eyes, but now that I look at it, the substrate looks to have some blue-green color on it.

If you notice white slime start to develop on the driftwood, that is common "driftwood snot" which is harmless and clears up on it's own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome :)

Just wanted to point some things out.
Your shrimp are either Blue velvets which are Neocaridina shrimp, or Blue Tigers (OEBT) which are Caridina shrimp. Just not both. Most likely they are Blue velvet shrimp. Tigers have stripes unless too dark to see.

WCMM and Neos and Tigers actually like cooler water, so even though you have a heater, having the temp between 69-72*F would be best for both the minnows and shrimp.

Do you know what kind of rock that is? Just wondering if it's inert or not, causing it to alter water parameters. Not sure if that is Cyanobacteria/Blue Green Algae (BGA) growing on the top of it or not. If it is, you might want to eradicate it before it gets out of control. Might be my eyes, but now that I look at it, the substrate looks to have some blue-green color on it.

If you notice white slime start to develop on the driftwood, that is common "driftwood snot" which is harmless and clears up on it's own.
You are correct about the algae, it's there. I try to give that rock a good scrub every now and again the clean it off. Not sure what kind of rock that is actually. Bought it at the LFS and it was just sold with many different types of rocks with color/texture called Feller Stones. Tried to look it up but couldn't really find anything specific. The heater in there is set at 72 just as a back up. I have a small apartment and so heating and air conditioning causes the room temp to fluctuate a lot. I like a cool house so that keeps it at a steady temp.

Thank you for pointing that out about the shrimp! They were sold to me as blue velvet tiger shrimp :S Wouldn't be the first time LFS has gotten species mixed up.

The substrate I think just need a good vacuuming but otherwise appears to be algae free and I have noticed DW snot lol I was concerned at first but read the same thing about it going away.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.